Looks like Lomo

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by clogz, Jul 28, 2003.

1. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some years ago, browsing through the sales bin at my local post office/newsagent's I found a funny little 35mm camera: it sports four tiny lenses and gives four tiny exposures on on frame. The trouble is that it didn't come with any instructions as to shutter speed and aperture. It has no brand name or whatever but it looks very much like the Lomo Sampler.
    My question: what are the shutter speed and aperture. I am clueless. How about you?

Hans

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Are you sure that's not a Nimslo?

3. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello David,

Not it is certainly not the Nimslo which would yield 3D prints and had three little lenses; this Lomo clone uses ordinary 35mm film and has four lenses and a "rotating" shutter.

Greetings

Hans

4. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Sure sounds like a LOMO Action Sampler to me unless the lenses are all in a line which would make it a Super Sampler. For some reason I think that it is a toy camera that is made in China so there might be some floating around with no association with LOMO.

Neal

5. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have several of these, including a cute little plastic model that uses 100 speed film. No way to change any settings, so I am assuming it is about 100-125 in speed and f11 or f16 in aperture. Used HP5+ with it , as I shoot that film between 160 and 250 ISO, depending on which camera I am using. The negatives look ok, would hate to see what I would have if I had been using ISO 100.
    I just got a higher end model that features a DX system, and is a little more envolved. Haven't developed any negatives from this one.

they are fun to play with.

6. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ann,

I will try your recommendations and run a HP5 film through the Lomo clone.

Thanks

Hans

7. glewis

glewis Member

sounds like someone needs a LOMO-bodomy. }:^)>

- sorry just couldn't resist the pun-

8. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It will be interesting to get some feed back on the density level of the negatives. When I get around to processing some film from my new toy I will let you know. THat will not be until the end of August as I wil be gone for several weeks and even when returning it will take me a bit to develop all the film I am taking along.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to sell Lomos in the photo shop I managed,as far as I remember they had a black metal body,about the size of a Rolli 35, And a vertical sliding cover over the one lense, the only other thing I recall is that looking through the viewfinder there was a very marked amount of barrel distortion.

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bentley, that would be the Lomo LC-A (or more rare LC-M). The 'lomo' cameras referred to here are crappy plastic chinese made multi-lensed toys which are sold by the Lomographic Society International at vastly inflated rip-off prices.

The Lomo factory in St Petersburg recently ceased production of the Lomo LC-A, so now the Lomographic Society has had to find its' bread and butter elsewhere. You can see the cameras they now sell and the prices :surprised: at the following link.

http://shop.lomography.com/shop/

11. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have THIS camera...

I've used it with black and white and colour 400 speed film and the results are great! It's cheap, fun and a great conversation piece.

You can shoot 4 at the same time, 2 up at a time, or all 4 individually... For 4 individuals it can be timed at different speeds or 4 separate fires of the trigger. A great little camera!

joe :smile:

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lomo LC-A

Hi Andy, thats the one. Its been a long time, must be around twenty years, as you say the price is unbelievable £173!! I know that in those days the then Soviet Union sold optical equipment at a loss, because they needed western currency to buy grain from the U.S.A. and Canada, and, even allowing for the twenty years, since we sold the camera for £29-99! It seems to me how true what someone I used to know said "Things are worth what you can get for them".

13. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    OK, I don't get it. $60 for the cheap plastic thing. $90 and up for a LC-A. What's the deal? An Olympus MJU goes for about $40.

A Holga is what, $30? A Yashica GTN about $30?

I don't get it. All of that just to take bad pictures?