los angeles river orotones _ exhibit

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by matthewbetcher, Oct 31, 2007.

1. matthewbetcher

matthewbetcher Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just thought i'd post a notice of the exhibition in Pasadena of my large scale "orotones" from the los angeles river -- [see my gallery for a brief explanation and some very difficult to understand images - they don't translate well from the original gold mirrored quality] -- i've been working on the project for quite a while and it's nice to see them get some air.

i would love to see some LApug-ers on saturday!

Attached Files:

2. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm supposed to go to an ex-roomie's opening that night but I'll do everything in my power to be there -! I'd love to see your stuff.

3. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Being on the East Coast, I can't make your opening. I will, however, be in the area later in the month, and will definitely stop in. The pictures from this series are amazing, and I can't imagine how beautiful they are in life. All the best with your opening.

4. Zebra

Zebra Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello Matt,

I made it by the show tonight. Looked for you but I was there between 715 and just before 8 and asked a few people but they weren't sure where you were. Sorry I missed you as it would have been nice to meet a fellow apugger who does such beautiful work. They really were incredible. What a presence. I had business here and was lucky to have had it fall on the day of your opening. I shoot wet plate collodion and have wanted to try orotones, so maybe this will help motivate.

Once again great work. Sorry we missed meeting.

All my best,

Zebra,

Monty

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I called Saturday night about 10 minutes to 7 to ask some questions. Got a recording, no one answered. Called again later, got the answering machine with no useful information.

I decided to do something else instead.

Steve

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    matthew

i wish i lived in la :sad:

best of luck with the show!

john

7. matthewbetcher

matthewbetcher Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    just wanted to let you know - those of you that are interested in possibly seeing the work - that we are throwing a little party at the space friday november 30, 7 until whenever (probably just before Roscoe's closes for chicken and waffles).

hope to see some of you there... sh!t hit the fan at the studio just before the opening, but hopefully i'll be able to be there early (ok, on time) this time.

_matthew

8. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mathew,
    Wish I had known about your exhibit earlier. I don't have time to drive up from SD before it closes, and I am a fan of orotones.
    Jim

9. matthewbetcher

matthewbetcher Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    sorry jim, actually despite what the invites say, they will be up through the new year - owner of the space was too busy to put a new show up in december... so... if you want to come up, let me know and i'll introduce you to my version of the orotone/fauxrotone (size dictating materials/method in this case).

10. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt, I would love to see these. Congratulations. They look beautiful!

Bill

11. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I saw the show and met with Matthew on Thursday, and I have to say, the work is to die for. I just posted more about the show on my blog for anyone interested.

12. sgs

sgs Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    could you explain your version of the process? are you using gold leaf or gold powder? do you tone your image first? i've been working on some orotones but haven't been satisfied with my finished images, any advice?
    thanks.
    gayle

13. matthewbetcher

matthewbetcher Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    hi gayle,

the method i'm using with these pieces actually makes them more faux-rotones than the true orotone process that curtis used. I am using a lith film - printing it as a positive image - then mounting that film to a sheet of glass that has been gold leafed. The resulting image is quite mirrored which is a look i wanted, but if you want something a little more matte, then gold pigment will work best. The best way is to mix some pigment with a clear gelatin solution --- forget the banana oil...

if you are interested and are in the los angeles area, they will be on view again via c4 gallery in hollywood (c4gallery.com)