LOST: House was burglarized over the w/e

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by djklmnop, May 25, 2005.

1. djklmnop

djklmnop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My house was burglarized over the weekend. Lost a bunch if not almost all of my camera equipment.

If anyone happens to run into any of these on ebay or a forum, please send me a PM. The seller should be from San Diego. It is known to be an organized asian group that burglarizes on asian business owners and their homes. This is becoming a bigger problem than ever for San Diego. I've never seen crime this high before of the many years I've been here. I need to get out of here!

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/4353064/detail.html
    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2965893/detail.html
    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/4246786/detail.html

http://www.crimewebsite.com/asianstreetgangs.htm
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1997/11/24/MN20273.DTL

Pelican Case containing
    Mamiya RZ 67 II Kit w/ 110mm 2.8 / 120 back + 120 back - SN TE1118
    Mamiya Winder II
    Mamiya Prism Finder L2
    Mamiya 180mm f/4.5
    Pentax 67 II body w/ 105mm 2.8 kit
    Pentax 200mm f/4

Lowepro Nova 5 bag containing
    Canon D60 - SN 7508A002[AA]
    battery grip - SN 5736A001[AA]
    50mm 1.8 - SN 2514A002[AA]
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM - SN 2017275
    Tokina 28-70 2.8 Pro SV - SN 690 1520
    Pentax 75mm f/4.5 in pouch with "75mm" written on pouch. SN 29274

Lowepro Nova 3 bag containing
    Nikon N80 with 50mm 1.8 attached
    28mm 2.8D AF with metal hood - SN 441925
    135mm 2.8 AIS

Lowepro Mini Trekker Bag
    Shen Hao 45
    Symmetrigon 150mm f/6.3
    Nikon 210 f/5.6 SW
    Pentax Spot V

Others
    Nikon N8008s with 50mm 1.8
    Sekonic L358 Meter
    Quantum Radio Slave 4i Freq C
    White Lightning X1600
    Nikon Coolscan 8000ED with NO film holders

There's more.
    * Update with Serial # *

Thanks again for any help. Been a long week for me :sad:

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
  2. dschneller

dschneller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ouch! My condolences, it's good that you have the serial numbers for everything. I hope some if not all of your equipment gets recoverd.

Dave

3. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ouch is right! sorry to hear this. This is the reason I bought a gun safe, I did not want the guns stolen and/or my camera equipment. If they can take a 1500 pound safe bolted to the floor, they deserve the contents... :smile:

I am not a 35 mm user, but if I run across these items on e bay I will holler.

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That sucks...

5. mark

mark Member

Damn, that bites. The police usually don't do this so you might-Make a xerox of everything you have like serial numbers and such, then drop them off at every pawn shop in the yellow pages. Our school got a few laptops, that had disappeared, back this way. Might work.

Ebay does not make people list serial numbers in their auctions so is there any way to know if they are being sold on Ebay?

6. djklmnop

djklmnop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think the best way is the combination by which it may be sold in. All of my lens' as well have a UV filter, Hoya S-HMC or B+W multicoated and have rubber lens hoods.

7. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I am so sorry to hear that. That kind of intrusion of your home and personal property is a nasty, invasive crime. I am happy that you and your family are safe.

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sorry to hear that :sad:. When you get the serial numbers, I'll pass them along to friend s up here that trade and sell used photo equipment. May not get this far up north but you never know.

9. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My condolences. I know exactly how you feel, only in spades. When I owned my small engine business, we sold Stihl power equipment. In ten years, we had exactly 10 criminal occurrences including at least six break and enters/thefts of various kinds. We got nothing back and on the last one, when the thieves stole my equipment trailer, the police didn't even bother coming. They just took a report over the phone and gave me an occurrence number.
    I still get pretty warm when I hear someone talking about the "screamin' deal" they got on a ---- from a guy who knows a guy who.....

my sympathy to you - I hope all goes well with the insurance.

10. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So sorry to hear this has happened to you. :sad: I certainly hope they capture these thugs. Just makes you wonder, doesn't it.

I'll certainly keep an eye out.

11. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am very sorry. I'm glad you and your family are ok and hope you get what is yours back and those who did this get theirs.

12. Shmoo

Shmoo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry to hear of your losses! I was just wondering what area of S.D. you're in. My family lives in the area and I'd like to send up a warning flag to them.

S

13. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow! that really sucks!!! I can only imagine the feeling of invasion you and your family feel. So sorry to hear about it. Hopefully they(the theives) will get what they deserve.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My sincere sympathies,

We got bumped too, about two weeks ago. We were lucky though, because when the thieves got in they set off the security system. They only managed to grab a few things before they had to scram.

I hope that it all works out allright; the hardest part is searching out the more rare cameras and lenses that you've worked hard to acquire.

Kent

16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My sympathies as well. It happened to our family when I was in high school. Lost all my cameras too, but fortunately we were insured, and I kept good lists with serial numbers. They caught the burglars, but the cameras were gone by then. Insurance paid, though, so it worked out in the end.

17. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sorry to hear about this...hopefully some of the Ebay browsers will keep an eye out. I know that Photo.net had a listing area of stolen camera equipment. I am not sure if it helps..

Sorry again,
    John

18. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really sorry as well, and glad you and the family are safe. Couple of points to consider, the mamiya site has a registery so if your equipment is listed there maybe an honest person will notify you /police if the mamiya stuff shows up. 2nd, while I have not been hit by these types of acts, know others that have and without fail it seems like the preps pay a repeat visit in 6 months or so, after they think everything was replaced by insurance. Not trying frighten, but these are just the way these crooks work..if you get an alarm, make sure to use it and that it is monitored..or at the very least a dog can sometimes change the outcome. Good luck...

19. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sorry to hear this. I hope the police get these guys. You should also post your loss on the Photo.net stolen equipment registry. Here's the link: http://www.photo.net/registry/index.tcl

Art.

20. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's terrible, I hope you can track it down :sad:

We have a monitored alarm system, but when some of these crims can knock off a house in under 3 minutes, not sure it would do much good..

21. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marks suggestion that you circulate a description of the stolen gear is a very good one, also try camera shops who buy or part exchange equipment I managed photographic shops for nearly twenty years, and probably a proportion of the equipment we were offered was stolen, but the police never came in with any lists of it, you just had to use your instincts before accepting it,.and call the cops if you were suspicious.

I sympathize with you I know how it feels, I have been burgled twice, and had a much loved Nikon F outfit stolen, they even emptied my childrens money boxes.
    I know it's painful now, you will feel this way for some time, but time heals,try to look foreword not back, and keep your spirits up.

22. gareth harper

gareth harper Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm really sorry to hear that.
    I've never suffered a break in (touch wood), I can't imagine how it feels, it must be terrible.

Do phone some of the secondhand dealers round about, keep an eye out for car boot sales and markets. Plus keep an eye on e-bay.

And consider how the theives got in, you don't want them back.

I hope things work out for you somehow.

23. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear about this. I had a bunch of gear stolen out of my garage when
    I was mowing in the back yard a couple of years ago. The theives just drove around and grabbed stuff out of open garages in daylight. I was fortunate as the stuff showed up in a pawn shop a couple of weeks later. It pays to have your name on your stuff and keep the serial numbers.

I hope you recover everything.

24. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's an Asian gang, then circulating the description locally is useless. The goods are making their way to a container ship for one way trip to China.

Regards, Art.

25. djklmnop

djklmnop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you, everone, for all the good advice and support. I just can't wait until this all blows over and that someone gets caught or once the insurance writes a check. Then I can start all over again! I may just start looking for a home in a different state all together.

I think Art may be right. I'm sure the items are on their way down to mexico or up to LA. Hopefully not on a one-way cargo to China!

Psychologically, I still need to recover a bit. The paranoia is still embedded in me for now.

26. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy,
    I am glad that you and your family are OK. It is terrible having your home so rudely intruded upon. It happend to me twice, once I lost a lot of stuff, the second the guy was caught in the house.
    I hope all goes well and that you can successfully get over those fears... it may take a while.

gene