Lots of lensboards and other good stuff

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MenacingTourist, Aug 20, 2005.

1. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just glued up 5 laminated lensboards. Three for my 5x7 and two for my 4x5. I'll find out in the morning just how well I did. I laminated them three different ways so one of them should be perfect. Didn't seem like rocket science but I've been wrong before. I figured since I offered to make some for Tom Hoskinson's 2x3 that I better make sure I can do a good job.
    I'll also be putting on a super thin veneer of mahogany to finish them up because hey, Mahogany is cool.

The other good stuff was that the film holders for my 5x7 came today and they were all loaded with film. Now I have something to practice loading with.

Let's see; got some camera stuff, did some woodworking and tomorrow will spend the day flyfishing. Not a bad way to start the weekend :smile:

2. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I've made about 20+ lensboards with the masonite that Dagor 77 protected a 717 ground glass with. Not as pretty as yours probably, but when you've got more lenses than sense...........

3. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That's laughs Jim, I did the exact same thing with the shipping protectors I got with GG from Dagor 77! I also use doorskins from OSH and they look about same, which is no where near as pretty as I imagine Alan's will be.

4. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You guys better keep a bit more mum....Andrew will be waxing eloquent on the virtues of masonite and the price will go through the roof....we wont be able to afford the shipping! :D :D

5. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Learned a couple of things

First, don't cut to finished size BEFORE glueing. Second, just make ONE test piece.

I now have five lensboards that are 1/16th off. Last night I glued up some that are oversized and tonight I can cut them to the exact size. Perfection will finally be mine :smile: I think the original ones will work but I just can't bring myself to use them. I'd see the mistakes all the time and it would bug me.

I also realized that I have a lot of scrap that has cluttered my garage for years that can be made into lensboards. I knew I got into LF for a reason.
    Check out the Classifieds for my brilliant solution to getting rid of this scrap and cleaning out my garage.

Alan.