Loupe for 6x6

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Allan Swindles, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know of a top quality, nay SUPERB magnifier for 6x6 transparencies when viewed on a lightbox.?

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have this one for sale for $120 including shipping and paypal.

3. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the Rodenstock indicated above, bought from B&H. I like it very much and therefore have no comparison with any others to offer though I did spend an hour in B&H nearly ten years ago trying it out vs others on a lightbox.

That said I couldn't promise its twice as good as a Schneider at half the price.

4. waileong

waileong Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    A Hassy WLF will do fine.

5. bwakel

bwakel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The Schneider 3x Loupe is superb and covers up to 6x7 with no distortion at all.

6. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, the Hass. WLF suggestion is ingenious and cheap as I have one which I rarely use, also a Rollei. on my 3.5F. Just a little concerned about scratches though as most stuff would be unmounted at this stage. Both the Schneider and Rodenstock look exciting. I will investigate further. Thanks again.

7. r-brian

r-brian Member

As a late addition to the list, I have a 5.5x Pentax SMC loupe that is fantastic.

8. JanaM

JanaM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, exactly, this loupe is excellent. Very, very sharp and contrasty, no chromatic aberrations, no distortion. The loupe covers a field of 8x8 cm, so you can even look at 6x8 slides from some Fuji MF cameras without problems.
    I am using it even for my 6x9 slides, you loose only 0,5 cm at the ends, and that is not a problem with most of my 6x9 slides.

The Schneider loupes are shipped with a transparent foot, too. So they are even suitable for looking at prints.

I can highly recommend the Schneider 3x loupe (and the 4x for 35mm, too). It is a joy to use.

Best regards,
    Jana

9. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hit Silverprint, they have a nice OHNAR 3.5x, I'm very pleased with mine :D

10. waileong

waileong Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There'll be no scratches if your film is in its sleeves, as they should be when unmounted.