Loupe recommendations for viewing 6x9 transparencies on a lightbox?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ghart, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ghart

ghart Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most MF loupes cover 6x6 or 6x7 at most. Does anyone know how best to obtain a magnified view of the whole area of a 6x9 transparency? Loupes for reading text tend to be low magnification and not well-corrected.

I find that for small format the Rodenstock 6x aspherical lupe performs admirably, giving a field of view larger than the negative dimensions, without apparent colour fringing or distortion. I guess that an equivalent unit covering 6x9 just doesn't exist. Sure it would be large, but I happen to prefer viewing at that magnification on a lightbox than scanning and looking at the image on a monitorÂ…

George

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, there are loupes that will do that , Peak, i believe. Mine is at the lab so i don't remember the model number, etc.

Love mine .

3. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    something like a 90 - 105mm enlarging lens would likely be ideal for a loupe. I'd be surprised if you can find a 6x loupe that covers 6x9. Most of the MF loupes are 3-4x at most for 6x7 coverage, even less for 6x9 probably.

4. Film-Niko

Film-Niko Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The current Schneider 3x medium format loupe covers an image field of 8cm x 8cm!
    So you loose only 5 millimeters at each side, and that is almost irrellevant.

This loupe has outstanding optical quality, excellent sharpness and brillance, no distortion. I has a changeble "foot" (transparent for paper, dark for slides on a lightbox).
    Highly recommended! I am using it for years and I am very satisfied.

You might have a look at it: www.schneider-kreuznach.com

5. ghart

ghart Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This Toyo 6x9 magnified viewing hood would work as a loupe. Or make something similar. Otherwise I don't know of anything sold as a lighttable loupe that big.
    [​IMG]

7. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello George,

I am using the Schneider 3x loupe for medium format for my 6x9 transparencies.
    The effective image field is 8cm x 8cm.
    Optical quality is indeed outstanding.
    I can highly recommend it.

Best regards,
    Henning

8. ghart

ghart Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Henning and all. Seems that it may be worth upgrading my Schneider 6x6 loupe to their newer 6x7 model, which may almost cover 6x9.