Love the 67!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by revdocjim, Sep 6, 2011.

1. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today I got to use my Asahi Pentax 67 for the first time in several months. I was up in the mountains surrounded by some very nice scenery. I used the 55mm, 75mm, 105mm, 135mm and 150mm and shot two roles of Velvia 100F 120. I don't know how they will turn out but honestly I just love using that camera. It's so very, very basic and yet oozes with solidity. All my lenses are the old T type but I just love them too. The 200mm and the T/C wouldn't fit in the bag so they stayed at home but what a joy that camera is. Even though it sometimes sits untouched for months, I can't imagine ever letting go of it!:D

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have the Pentax 67 but I do have an RB67. I love my camera!

Jeff

3. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes Jeff, I enjoy my RB67 very much too. But that beast and the Asahi Pentax really are strikingly different animals. Call me spoiled but it's fun having both!

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^:smile::smile:^

Jeff

5. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had my 6X7 out the other day and I shot a roll of Portra 160NC (one of the few I have left) and a roll of Tmax 400 with it. The photos from that camera are amazing, I only shot with my 105 because I left the other lenses at home.

I can't say that it is the quality of the photos from this camera that makes them what they are, but it is more the way the image is rendered on the film by the camera that I like about this camera.

My last round of shooting with the 6X7 made me so happy with it that I moved it from it's regular storage spot that is hard to get at and gave it a spot in the in current use lineup. I really have to agree, you just can not shoot this camera too much.

6. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, i love shooting my 6x7 (RB67) as well! I really, really like my Minolta 35mm gear (as well as the KM electronic stuff), but my RB67 is just a joy to use.

7. jnoir

jnoir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Love the 67, yeah, but just when it comes out of my Mamiya 7II. After struggling for some months with a Pentax that I borrowed off a customer, I am more than happy on my decision to go for the M7II. The Pentax is clumsy, heavy, BIG... but yeah, not that expensive at all these days. Good, but in my opinion the Mamiya is better and does all that I need. Plus, I won't suffer back pains and I can buy film with the money saved from the physio :tongue: (just kidding)

However, I have had recently an experience quite close to yours, but in my case with the Pentacon Six TL, and related to the 6x7 format (actually I am using the 50mm lens for the P6 trying to decide whether to go for the 43mm or the 50mm lens of the M7II). The Bronica S2A is now on the hands of my girlfriend :whistling:

8. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My pair of 67II's live in my van, right at the back door! Alas, I need to make room for my new Mamiya 645 Super, which will replace the 300mm and extension tubes I don't use.

Being 6 ft 2 inches and roughtly the size of a bardge, the 67ii's just fit so nicely into my oversized hands - and the weight, well, it's nothing really for me, but I LOVE the heft of it (I hate light weight cameras.)

9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm curious.

Why use this type of camera, over another style like a Hasselblad/Bronica/etc. ?

I'm not being provocative but rather looking for an actual set of criteria why one would choose this style of camera over another...I've only ever used the Hassy/Bronica models.

10. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For me i prefer the 6x7 negs over 6x6. But i love the feel in my hands over an rb/rz67. I have a kiev 88 and mamiya 645. The 645 i have for long shoots because of the the fast change of the backs. The kiev i think i bought because of it's nick name but i do not like shooting it... maybe it will grow on me.

For me it is the feel. I do wish it loaded faster.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. mick8585

mick8585 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    the 67 remains a fave of mine. It becomes a lethal weapon in a nasty situation as well.
    Pity the shutter scares everything for 6 mts. around.
    Great MF GEAR.

12. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the use at eye level compared to waist. And the P67 makes this easier than the RB67.

13. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have several Bronicas and like them for their portability. The Asahi Pentax 67 is more of a tripod camera, although many do choose to hand hold it. Compared to the RB and RZ it is much more portable and easy to handle.

It is also a very unique design, being perhaps the only 6x7 SLR that actually resembles a normal 35mm SLR. The eye level view is easier for those not accustomed to WLF. Of course I choose to use AE prism finders on my Bronicas too.

Finally it is rather subjective, but the Pentax just has a certain classic feel to it that makes using it a great joy for me.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't own neither P67 nor RB67 but I love taking trips to nature where I burn a roll of Velvia in half a day. :wink:

16. popawalker

popawalker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just recently bought a Pentax 6X7 with a 90mm and 150mm lens. I hope to get out with it soon and run a roll of film through it.

17. PaulMD

PaulMD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great system. I find the late 55/4 and the 75/4.5 are both excellent lenses, some of the best around. The 105/2.4 is good but not superfluous, as is the 150/2.8. Not the right camera if you want fast sync or stealthy shooting, but there's no messing with floating elements or separately cocking the shutter (except LS lenses) and advancing the film. When I need results, this is pretty much my go-to camera nowadays.

18. cluttered

cluttered Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last weekend I used my P67ii to take some photos at an organised indoor event. Trying to take unintrusive photos in a quiet hall was pretty difficult due to the LOUD mirror slap and/or shutter.

But other than that it was great. Even managed to get some very nice shots handheld at about 1/15 or 1/30 which conventional wisdom says can't be done with this setup. That was with the 105/2.4 lens.

I'm thinking about buying an RB or RZ67 for studio use, but I'll certainly stick to the Pentax for everything else.

19. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also have 67ii that I really love. I use the camera for photographing nature landscape and I can tell you that the zen moment before pressing the shutter is completely gone when the mirror finish its duty.

20. faustotesta

faustotesta Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I own both a Hasselblad and a Pentax 67. I tend to prefer the 67 because its negative is not squared. I hate cutting paper in the darkroom in order to have squared sheets. The 67 negative seems to fit easier to paper. Maybe this is a silly reason. But that's the way it is. I should buy a 645 back for my Hasselblad. But it costs more than a decently equipped Mamiya or Bronica....
    Ciao

21. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just got a Mamiya 7 and it fits me like a glove. (this after shooting hasselblad for a year)...

22. UKJohn

UKJohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of years back I exchanged my Bronica SQA I had several bodies, backs and numerous lenses for a RZ67 with two backs and three lenses. It was the best thing I've done I simply love using it and take it every time a travel - I've hauled it all over Russia! And the 67 format is more flexible than the 6x6 plus the rotation of the back comes in so handy.

23. wy2l

wy2l Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pentax 67

I have a Pentax 67ii, and really enjoy using it. The only lesson I learned (the hard way) is that the beast demands a tripod.

Kris

24. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have always lusted after a Pentax 67, but ended up acquiring a Fuji GW670 II and a GSW690 III both of which I love using.

25. Greg Heath

Greg Heath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

I totally agree. I just got a Mamiya RB67 with the 90mm and I looked for this camera for awhile. I like the fact that the RB does not need batteries to function. I downloaded a free light meter for my iPhone and it works great. I like the Hasselblads, but this camera is 6x7, or 6x4.5, and the movable back is awesome, and the ability of doing macro. I took this camera to a local museum yesterday and the 6 pounds was a bit heavy, but it was really fun. I also purchased the grip. I am a big fan of medium format. love the big negatives. They are so rich...

Greg

Attached Files:

26. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Pentax 67 — in whatever incarnation, appears to have a devout following across the globe, and the image format is very appealing. I took the plunge and purchased a minty 67 body and TTL prism finder on FleaBay, followed a few days later (necessary to recover from the financial shock!) by an SMC 67 55mm f4.0 lens — both from Lancaster, CA. Camera is due here tomorrow, lens a few days later. Now all I need is a bigger pair of hands! :smile: