LowePro Slingbag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by BWGirl, Apr 9, 2009.

1. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Frank Bunnik

Frank Bunnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a slingshot 200 when i go cycling. Great back, comfortable to carry.

3. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kata also makes slings bags, which can be carried over either shoulder (and over both, if you so wish. But then they do not 'sling' anymore).

4. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its a nice bag, but I found it awkward to organize for shooting med format. Not enough pocket space for more than a handfull of 120 rolls and a big meter. It was however just peachy for my F5, a few primes and a flash plus a weeks worth of film. It really is designed for digital where you can just slide in a few umpteen gig CF cards.

But, I must say, I do love the "slide around" feature -- it's like having a portable workspace right there.

5. DLM

DLM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently bought the Slingshot 200 at Costco for $68 instead of the $90 that B&H and most other places charge. So far I'm really happy with it. The only slightly annoying thing is that I wish there was a little more of a lip below where the camera body sits inside the bag so that when the zipper is open, the body doesn't want to slide out as easily if the bag is sitting on an uneven surface. Overall though I can see myself being satisfied with this bag for quite some time before I need to move up to something bigger.

6. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your input! I am seriously considering getting one of these... though I have to tell you that I did give them "what for" about only offering this in a boring black. :D I asked them to consider something similar to the cool book bag/backpacks they make! hahahaha Yada, Yada! :wink:

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've looked at the sling bags a lot, but they strike me as kind of fussy to use. I like to just reach down an pull out a lens, or camera or whatever, without all the adjusting the sling bags seem to require. I've tried them out in shops, but haven't actually used one in picture taking, however. So maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake.

Certainly, for biking, or serious hiking where you might stop, set up and work from the bag for a bit, then pack up and move, I think they would be a big improvement over small backpack type bags.

Regarding the color, I was looking at one in a shop that had some Lowepro reps visiting, and told one of them I'd buy it if they made it in a light color. He sort of just looked at me, and couldn't seem to understand why I'd want a camera bag in any color but black.
    He did, however, point out the built-in rain cover that is light colored.

8. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought one of these.

Attached Files:

9. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look on Ebay. There is a Lowe Pro dealer selling the 350 for $99, and the 300 for $79.95 both new with free shipping. Looks like a pretty decent deal. I'm thinking a 350 could end up being my air travel carry on bag. Should hold my T90 and some lenses plus my laptop, Ipod, etc. plus it looks nice for short hikes with the camera.

10. glaiben

glaiben Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love my Kata 3N1-20 - well balanced, seems to be better built than the Lowe and Tamracs, with a bright yellow interior which makes it easy for 52 year old eyes to find things. I carry a Hasselblad 503CW, 50, 80, 120, 3 film backs, Pola back, meter, a few filters and film. Tight fit - yes. Easy to get to stuff when you need it - yes - can align dividers so that you can open from either left or right. However, I use it primarily as a backpack, not a sling type bag. Am not doing quick grab shots. Would buy again in a heart beat - got mine from the big auction site.

11. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Buying LowePro on eBay may be a bit iffy.

LowePro bags are made in China. Nothing wrong with that.
    And there are many offers from China on eBay. Also nothing wrong with that.
    But somehow, they often manage to offer new LowePro bags for lots and lots less than you have to pay elsewhere.
    Now many good things are made in China, and for very little money too. But on the other hand, lots of cheap, low quality, counterfeit/imitation stuff also comes from China.

Just something to keep in mind.

12. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your input! :smile:

I have a great backpack (also a LowePro) that I use for long hikes when I want to take a lot of gear. I will often pack everything in the backpack, then just put what I want to use in a particular location into my Crumpler (7 million dollar home). That way I can take everything with me, but not have to carry everything. For short trips from my home, I have this "monstr-o" waistpack I got at a rummage sale for $2. :D hahaha BUT I cannot put enough of what I want to carry into it. I hate having to stop, put the Crumpler down or take off the backpack, and get what I need. Call me lazy, but it should not have to be such a PITA! hahahaha :tongue:

I can get this bag seriously cheap, so the cost of it is a non-issue. I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with the bag. It sounds like those who have had experience with it find it dandy to use with very few 'bad points'. So... that caps it for me! I am going to get one & give it a go! I'll post here after I see how it does.

Thanks for all your help with this! I knew I could count on you! :smile: :cool:

13. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one I use for my travel camera. You don't take it off... just slide it round from your back to front and unzip the flap to grab something out. I think it works as I don't overload it with a lens in every available posi. The 200 (and I think 300) also have a stabilizer strap that comes around the other side of you to keep it on your back whilst keeping both hands free whilst rock hopping, etc

14. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Between my wife and myself, we have the 100, 200 and 300 Sligshots. The larger is my carry-on hand-luggage for holidays; no way are my babies going in the hold for some half-baked baggage handler to throw around the airport. However, as convenient as these bags are for carrying, I find them a bit of a pain when changing lenses.

The problem is that when you pull them round to the front, the lenses are laid horizontally (facing away from you). It's a pity they couldn't design one that becomes a top-loader when it's slung across the front of the wearer.

15. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that was one of my reservations about it. I'm going to see if I can make any sort of modifications when I get it. It should be hre Monday! :D

16. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Comfort & convenience.

Which ever bag you opt for don't end up looking like this dude when you're out & about.

Attached Files:

17. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh... that is a hoot, Mike! hahahaha :D

18. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And golf is such a fast moving sport...you certainly wouldn't want to get caught out changing lenses!

19. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the lens stored vertically when it's opened and only open the flap to the bend (half way) That way it is a top loader. This method only works if you're not trying to fill it up... I only have the camera with mounted lens, one other lens and a flashgun. If I'm going for a stroll I'll put a small bottle of water in as well. Batteries and other junk go in the front pocket and I usually have a camcorder in the top compartment.