Lower cost color film for my daughter to learn on

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Jedidiah Smith, May 23, 2013.

1. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, Kat (as we call her) is 9 and I can see this summer we're going to be doing some photography together finally. She is showing an interest. :smile: I went to B&H's web site to look at some film, and see they no longer sell Kodak Gold 100, which was what I was going to start her out on. This is for 35mm, Minolta SLR. They do have an ISO 200 Kodak film, but a reviewer says, "remember this is not Gold 200". What is it then?:confused:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a lower cost color neg film to start her out on? Something she could burn through 20 rolls or so and not destroy the bank. We will get the processing/prints done at Costco for now; they use Fuji Crystal Archive, so at least that's something; it's close and quite reasonable cost. When she gets proficient with the camera and composing, etc, then I will get her either some Ektar or Portra160 depending on what she likes to shoot the best at that time, and see if she can notice the difference. :D Thanks for any suggestions on a start film in 2013!

2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would ignore what ever that reviewer wrote. It doesnt get more basic than Kodak Gold and certainly Gold 200 is just as "Gold" as any other film sold by Kodak labeled Gold.

Start her off on Gold.

Edit: Fuji Superia 400 is only $1.79 a roll for 24 exposures. ISO400 film gives your 9 year old more shutter speed which is probably one of the most important things for a youngster to have. I'd consider using that film.

3. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here in Europe Fuji c200 is cheap as chips, just bought a load of rolls for round about 2 euros per roll, dunno how it is in the US but I have a feeling you should be able to get that film for cheap somewhere..

:smile:

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I didn't already have a hundred rolls in the fridge I'd bid on this.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-Su...0672972?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item3382602c4c

Or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60x-rolls-F...8555975?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item3a815e7b47

Or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujicolor-S...6427350?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item232b1192d6

While I will buy fresh Portra 400 or Fuji Pro 400H to shoot a wedding for a paying client the deals above are just fine for most anything including those weddings. As I would expect the Gold 200 at B&H to be.

I would suggest that 400 speed film is more fun to shoot, I'd start there regardless of brand.

5. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second Fujifilm Superia 400. Cheap, versatile, readily available, and 400 is just a good all-around film speed.

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Als6 sniff around what Ultrafine Online is flogging. Usually a deal on short rolls, etc.

I buy from them even when I have to pay separate shipping. I recall their US domestic price includes shipping.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might check out Walmart. They have fuji film that is not bad price wise.

Jeff

8. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Fuji film from Walmart is the aforementioned Fuji Superia. Great stuff for the price.

9. kchoquette

kchoquette Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H has Gold 400 for something like $2.50 a roll, which isn't too bad, if you ask me.

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't. I can assure you that the review mentioned knows of what he wrote. What B&H delivers is ColorPlus 200, which has very different characteristics and edge markings that "real Kodak Gold". Ask me how I know.

Kodk Gold 200 is a fantastic film. ColorPlus has more grain and a muted color palatte. (Some people like it; not me, though).

11. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Though I avoid walmart, they have good prices on Fuji film.

I was probably younger than 7 when I had my first camera... the Brownie Holiday that was my mother's when she was a child. I have a lot of blurred images from not holding the camera still when pressing the button.
    No doubt you'll start your daughter with a more manageable camera, but might I suggest a 400-speed film? It will be less likely to blur her pictures if she can use faster shutter speeds. As a matter of fact, my best friend took a picture of myself standing next to Mr. Potato head at the Hasbro Headquarters in RI with my Sears KS-2 on a very sunny day, and she blurred the picture by moving the camera while pressing the button - and she was in her late twenties.

12. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wasn't even considering 400 speed film because I used to only ever shoot ISO 50 and 100 films! :smile:. Maybe for a child it is worth the grain and color penalty. A couple questions this brings up:
    Since they apparently no longer sell Gold 100 or Superia Reala (what a shame!), is the grain penalty going from ISO 200 to 400 not that large anymore?
    Would anyone here say the Kodak Gold 400 is worth 30 cents a roll more than the Fuji Superia 400? I remember 10 years ago I certainly liked the Kodak colors better, but I have shot mostly slides since then. Definitely not starting her out on those! ;-)
    Although with them being printed on Fuji Crystal Archive and developed most likely in Fuji chemicals at Costco, would the Kodak Gold 400 even show any difference? Maybe the other steps in the process render it a moot point, I don't know.

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I was going to suggest real B&W film instead, then you can teach her to develop at home too and see the results as it hangs to dry, she might like that, and B&W neg's are much nicer to look at than color ones. Plus B&W has more latitude for error, AND if she gets a lot of "dull" color from the cheaper film, she might loose interest, but B&W is almost always more interesting with the contrast of tones IMHO... just a thought.

14. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMO, both Sureria and Gold, 400 speed films are really sweet.

As to the difference in colors between Sureria and Gold, is nothing to right home about. Yes, there are differences, but in metaphor it's like choosing between two different good friends to spend an afternoon with.

Another thing about C41 films, unlike traditional B&W, is that extra exposure actually reduces grain and avoids most color issues. I'll happily shoot 400 rated C41 films at EI's as low as 25 or even 12 in a pinch. At the underexposure end of the scale, I'm much more careful. 1-stop under is typically workable when needed.

15. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If this is for the purposes of teaching photography to and spending time with your young daughter, then I think you're splitting hairs worrying about the differences between Fujifilm and Kodak consumer films. Both are capable and respectable products. As far as grain from 400 speed film, it's a non-issue as long as you're shooting in good light, and exposing and processing normally. I printed a frame from a roll of (fresh) Superia 1600 recently, and honestly can't see any telltale signs of high speed film (image called "Ken" in my gallery). Put your energies into teaching her composition and the fundamentals. Enjoy yourselves...

16. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely. Too much detail to worry about with a young child. Make shooting film FUN first.

17. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A few thoughts - I have a daughter who started photography at about that age, and it was a great opportunity for us to bond, and to share something - I support the endeavor regardless.

Regarding film, StoneNYC suggests B&W - which is what my daughter started on. You can process film at home and it is very low cost - you also get to see exactly what you get - with colour print film, many issues with exposure are masked by the printing, so it is less good as a learning experience.

Another way to go would be to go to a colour transparency film where the exposure latitude is even less. If she can develop the skill to get well exposed slides, then B&W, or colour print films will be easy.

Bottom line though, is that she can learn on any film, and any film can help you to grow closer - don't let the film get in the way of creating memories.

18. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tis is the same as the Walgreens house brand.

19. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been seeing Kodak Gold 200 on Ebay lately for about $2 a roll. As Lucky Color Film fades into history Gold seems to be picking up the slack for cheap color film.

20. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B & H has Superia 400 for $1.79 a roll.

21. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's a good price! I might pick some up myself! I like this thread! Maybe we could have a similar thread as a sticky so we can list where to get color film cheaply. :smile:

22. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to all for the advice. Glad the films are so close in quality these days. Slides would be fun, but then we're talking $18+ per roll by the time we're done. Might get her to shoot some after she learns the basics.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the B&W route. I'd have done that in a heart beat even just a couple years ago, but we've moved so many times, I no longer have any darkroom stuff. I would have to re-purchase all of it. Which I might do eventually if necessary, but one thing at a time. ;-)

23. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After awhile, I would shoot one roll of Provia, just to demonstrate what slide film is like. There's nothing like seeing a chrome the first time. I went 10 years or more shooting film before I touched Provia. Wow, what an eye opener that was.