LPL 7700 Pro Alignment Issues?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by StephanJ, Apr 27, 2006.

1. StephanJ

StephanJ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi folks,

I picked up an LPL 7700 Pro a while ago in anticipation of building a darkroom. Since the latter has yet to happen I've not had a chance to try it out. However, I've had a tinker....

It has a knob that you twist to lock the head at a particular height and I've noticed that doing this actually causes the head to tilt back a little - possibly a few degrees. This suggests that I will have to be wary of alignment issues and that a bit of stopping down is in order.

I'm a relatively novice darkroom user so any advice or opinions either specific or general would be welcome.

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, the head is not supposed to move when you lock down the height. If yours is moving several degrees, I think that there is possibly something that needs to be tightened up or is damaged. (I have 2 LPL670VCCE enlargers and neither of them do that.)

Jon

3. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Check to column and see if it's bent, curved, twisted, etc. If the head is okay, keep it and perhaps look for a replacement for the column.

I'm not sure if this particular model has anyway to adjust and/or align once it goes out. I think it's a factory-aligned type. I have a similar model.

4. StephanJ

StephanJ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. Overall it's in excellent condition. I've had a look at the assembly. The column appear fine, and unfortunately I can't see anything that's adjustable.

If I have to write it off it's no real loss as I bought it as part of a bundle with a CPE2, trays, graduates, tanks and so on.

Stephan

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check the alignment with the head locked since this is the only way that you are going to use it.

6. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had bad luck with mine as well. I could align it with a laser alignment tool, lower the head 1ft, raise the head 1ft, test the alignment again and it would be off. I wrestled with it for a while and couldn't get anywhere. While I was deciding what to do next I came across a used Durst Pictocrom which I believe uses the durst 1200 chassy? Anyway the Durst is a rock, I aligned it 6 months ago and it's still spot on. Since then I've decided to use the lpl for paper flashing and other jobs.

7. StephanJ

StephanJ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of course Dave, thanks. That's a good observation that I feel a little daft for not having made.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  8. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    tighten and then

Yes, and then you could shim the easel, if necessary.

Jon

9. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Never buy an enlarger that can not be adjusted is the lesson.