LPL C7700 Colour Head - How can I dial in Grade 5?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by ozphoto, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All.

I had a print session of some really old negs today, from my grandmother's collection.

One in particular needed Grade 5 to be usable, and according to my grade table I need to dial in 200M.

Unfortunately, my LPL C7700 only dials up to 170M. I printed at that, but it still needed some extra "snap".

How can I get Grade 5 on this head? Never needed it previously, but would be good to know for future reference.

Thanks everybody! :smile:

-Nanette

2. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nannette, one way I once did a flat as a flapjack neg, was to dial out the filtration and use a number 5 Ilford filter under the lens.

It worked better than the sort of grade 4½ or so my colour head was able to achieve.

I don't suggest you make a habit of it, but when desperation happens, you do funny things for a result.

Mick.

3. Solarize

Solarize Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the same enlarger, and tend to use the yellow filter alongside magenta if I need the contrast. I've never bothered to work out the actual grade of the filter settings - just go off the test strips and work prints.
    Ciaran

4. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input.
    Was thinking along your lines, Mick, as I've seen a SH lot of filters that were missing some filters but luckily *not* the Grade 5 one.
    And Solarize - this was my real hope when asking the original question - saves me having to outlay extra $$ on a filter I'll rarely use.

Will try a few Test Strips, and if to no avail - I'll go Mick's suggestion.

Thanks all - as always an answer is out there for just about everything on APUG :smile:

-Nanette
    www.nanettereid.com

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nanette,

You could try using ILFORD MG FB which should give plently of contrast with heavy magenta filtration.

Tom.

6. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Take a paper that delivers more contrast. Not all papers are true G5 even with the ilford filters.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The numbers on color heads are not standardized. If your magenta filter is totally covering the light path, that will likely be as good as the Ilford MG #5 filter. Also, make sure the yellow moves all the way out of the way when its on zero. To get more contrast you can try a high contrast paper developer or graded #5 paper or both.

8. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all - will look at all options.
    Seems like a visit to my local photo shop may be in order.
    Uncle Kev's gonna love having given me that bonus here in AUS! :smile: