LPL Power Supply

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by squinonescolon, Sep 21, 2010.

1. squinonescolon

squinonescolon Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm about to take delivery of a LPL 4500II sans power supply. I've been looking around for one (power supply) in the internet and I'm seeing prices north of 500 dollars. Is there any creative alternatives?
    Best regards,
    Steven

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your enlarger will require an 82V power supply.
    I believe the Kodak 4000 series old carousel projectors used a 300W 82V bulb, therefore, there should be an appropriate wattage 82V power supply in every Kodak 4000 series projector, just waiting to be hacked onto any enlarger that is missing its 82V power supply :smile:

Here is 4000 projector for $35

http://www.recycledgoods.com/produc...Projector-Body-wo-lens-or-Lamp-As-Is-for.html

3. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I've seen the lpl power supplies on ebay for low price occasionally. The power supply also powers a fan continuously. If you need a projector for power, I have some.

Jon

4. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Contact KHB Photografix in Toronto, I think they are now the best source for enlarger related things in the world...EC

5. squinonescolon

squinonescolon Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I contacted them, their quote was $600 for new, $350 refurbish, it just seems like an awful amount of money for a power supply. I might end up doing it anyways but I want to see if there's any alternatives. The projector bit sounds interesting. I would have to see the enlarger plug first..

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The real ones are pricey, except for the one I forgot to bid on on ebay that sold for about $35.00 a few months ago. The typical price when they show up is about 150 - 250 USD, sometimes a bit more on a good day for the seller. They don't show up terribly often.

When my first one died I cobbled up a substitute using a household dimmer. To set it, I connected the dimmer to a track light running a couple of 100 W bulbs, and measured the voltage as I dimmed it till it got to 82 volts. Then I marked that place on the slider.
    The fan operates at 120 so you just need a regular switch for it. Ohming out the connector isn't too difficult if you're equipped to do the rest. If I can find my notes I'll post the pinout.

I've since bought a real one off ebay, but I like the slide projector power supply idea. I used my substitute for a year or so, worked fine.