Luigi Straps for Rolleiflex

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by TheFlyingCamera, Aug 3, 2012.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been looking around for a better strap for my Rollei. I've got an OpTech that while very comfortable, is a pain to take on and off the camera because of the wierd strap lug design on the Rolleiflex. I saw a strap on Ebay by Luigi that has the Rollei fasteners on it. Has anyone ever used one of his straps, and what do they think of it? It's not cheap ($210) so I hesitate to indulge without confirmation from someone who's used one.

2. kebal

kebal Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Rolleiflex came with a Leicatime strap that the previous owner had purchased. I'm very happy with it. It has the Rollei scissor clips, so it's easy to remove. It's not nearly as well-padded as the OpTech strap, but it's still quite comfortable.

$210 seems like an awful lot, though. I believe it's possible to have scissor clips riveted to the OpTech straps, which might be another option for you.

3. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I own a Luigi strap for my 3.5 E, Rolleiflex and while it was expensive (the clips have something to do with that), I considered it a good investment because the workmanship was something else.

4. prumpkah

prumpkah Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Or, for that matter, to just about any other strap of your choice, and most likely for a lot less money.

5. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found some modern nylon web ones on the big auction site for a fraction of the price. I think I'll get one of those instead. The Luigi looks beautiful, but not $210 beautiful.

6. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who have held and used Luigi straps who love them, and those who think they cost too much. :smile:

7. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, the strap is half the price of the overhaul of my Rollei, which is almost as much as I paid for the camera in the first place.

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, that's one way to look at it.....

I use these for a couple of my Rolleiflex and a few other cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000928MNQ

Buy that once, and then a few sets of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010HE2CY

Put the system connectors onto each camera once, then switch the foam strap part from camera to camera with the snaps as needed. Very easy, no fiddling to take the ends off and on different cameras.

9. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's exactly the system I'm currently using. You can get the loopy ends through the Rollei strap lugs (just barely). What gave me the thought to change the strap was that I had to take it off to bring it to the repair shop, and realized what a pain in the ass it was to remove the loops from the Rollei lugs.

10. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I noticed too that once on they are attached they are hard if not impossible to finagle back off! I sent one of my Rolleiflexes with the short straps intact to Harry for a tweak on a recent repair he did for me. I do not think it gets in the way for the most part, and if it does the repair guy could just unscrew the side strap mounts in seconds I'd imagine. I have a basic cheap leather strap that someone riveted some original Rollei scissor-clips on. Works fine but it's cheap leather and not very comfortable. But easily on and off! Think I paid $30-40 or something for that from another user on APUG.

I have the Luigi case and strap for my Leica CL that came with when I bought it (used of course), and a Luigi half case for my MP too. Luigi threw in a hand loop strap when I got that. All three are wonderfully supple and a dream to touch and hold. Stitching a work of art! Sure are expensive but so are BMWs, Porsches, Prada bags, Rolex watches, etc....

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found a Rolleiflex strap on eBay from China. I think it's the real deal although it could be a high-quality knock-off. The scissor-clips seem solid and authentic, and the leather they attach to says "Rollei" on it. The strap itself is webbing, about 1"-1.25" wide, and has a decent rubber back-of-the-neck pad. It was about $40 including shipping from China, which took a reasonable 7-8 days IIRC.

12. mAc12563

mAc12563 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format