Luna Pro situation

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I'm wondering about my light meter. It's a Luna Pro, which I love dearly, but I don't trust it lately. Most of my negs have come out underexposed. The way I measure, since I can't afford a spot meter, is I walk to the darkest spot of the scene, and measure with a gray card in that spot. This has worked well for me in the past, since I then develop by inspection.

I put fresh new batteries in, and still the same thing. When I do the battery test, with the fresh ones, the needle doesn't fall on the red area as it should do. Is that normal? Perhaps the batteries are not right? I'm curious.

Thankful for thoughts and facts.

- Thom

2. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Luna Pro F, and it also significantly underexposes. Mine has an adjustment screw to adjust the needle to the green mark on the left side of the scale, (with the battery out), as well as the battery check itself. Both of these check out ok.
    Is there a screw on the back of yours to zero the meter? Not that it did any good for me.
    I thought the meter was right and I was screwing up until I checked it against 2 nikons and another meter. The F is consistently 1 to 1 1/2 stops under.

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Luna Pro F

I have two Luna meters, had since new. When I finally realized that the F was off, sent it to Bogen for service. They repaired and its now very acurate again. I think the cost was around $150.

4. WKF20500

WKF20500 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A couple of years ago I sent my Luna Pro to K & S Camera Repair, 364 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93704, 559-222-3686 for calibration. He not only calibrated the meter but converted it to use modern batteries - all for less than $100. It's worked great ever since.

Wes

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. For now I've been using the meter in my SLR, and it works well, just a little clunky, but I get to bring another camera along...
    One of these days I'll have to get it fixed.

- Thom

6. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you place a gray card in the darkest part of the scene, it is lighter than that part of the scene. The result is a higher reading resulting in underexposure.

7. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    To continue:

Walk to the dark area, meter it without the gray card and place this reading on Zone III (2 stops less light than indicated). Voila! open shadows, not underexposed ones.
    The vary development to get your highlights in the right part of the Zone Scale.

Jim

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would be an OK procedure, I suppose, but I used to get it right every time. That's the kicker. I don't use the Zone system. I just eyeball it with a dark green light when the film is in the developer.
    - Thom

9. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thomas, what model Luna Pro do you have and how old is it?

If it's an old meter, it may have been made to work with mercury batteries and alkalines don't have enough juice to make it work properly. You can get a Gossen adapter to use smaller alkalines of the right voltage.

Of course, if it's consistent in its underexposure, you could just adjust the film speed accordingly.

10. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    NOT ALKALINES, Lee, SR-44 silver oxide cells.

11. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stand corrected.

12. Christopher Nisperos

Christopher Nisperos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gossen battery adapter no. V206A. Used also for the Euro-version of the Luna-Pro, the Lunasix 3/S.

Best,

Christopher

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A bit pricey... but a great way to keep the old meter going. I've been using this adapter for a few years with great success.

14. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just curious... why don't you try an incident reading?