Lux: open-source 3D printed camera

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by polyglot, Jan 16, 2014.

1. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lux. Also with links to Duo, a previous effort which uses Mamiya lenses+shutters but provides an open source body.

2. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Free Camera design?? Woohoo!!

Now all I need is a $15k 3d printer to print it...

3. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Or, you could just buy a $300 'flex. You'd get strap lugs too, along w/ a real WLF, superior German build quality, a better shutter.....

4. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Absolutely awesome--of course now the haters will show up...but they will soon change their attitudes as more and more people stop listening to them. It certainly is refreshing seeing these things just start springing up.

Schools and workshop places do have 3d printers--libraries even, in big cities--they have classes to learn to use them and then you get to print your project. This is just the beginning of something that is going to change everything.

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have contacted with one of rapid printing services and they wanted 300 euro or may be 400 dollars for the shell of a canon body. Not internals but the outer shell. 20 dollar zeiss ikon takes 10000 times better images than that camera.

6. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So cool. I'm very excited to see what he does next.

I don't know how anyone could be negative about someone making new film cameras and pricing them accordingly to what they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  7. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's an impractical exercise driven by poor engineering and has no style. That's not negative thinking, that's an accurate description :ninja:

But it does spark some discussion outside the normal film circles and I give it a free pass because of that :D

If there is a next generation that acquires an artistic designer for the shell and he gets over his fear of doublets then I'll be happier for everyone involved.

8. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or, you could just buy a cheap d*gital camera and....:whistling:

I myself welcome everything and anything that goes under the category "film". And I welcome all DIY projects, since they embody much of that attitude I like about film: not taking the easy route, doing things myself, using tools that aren't mainstream.

There are many great examples of contemporary pieces of photographic engineering with style. Unfortunately most of them don't take 120 film, nor can I build them myself should I want to... :pouty:

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dunno about the camera, but the microprocessor-controlled shutter is very interesting.