M3 Flash Bulb

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Alisha, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Alisha

Alisha Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some M3 flash bulbs other then looking on Ebay?

I have a Polaroid 250 with a flash gun that uses the M3 flash bulb and I was lucky enough to get a box set of 12 of GE's M3 flash bulbs. The problem is, it had came with my Polaroid when I bought it and I just can't seem to get myself to use them. :sad: So I thought it'd be easier on me to buy another box set even though it's going to set me back some (quite a lot) bucks.

Whatever advise you can give me will be helpful. Thank you. :smile:

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I probably won't set you back any more than the instant film. I am thinking that midgets will be about 25 cents per bulb, perhaps as much as 50 cents if you are unlucky. I have several *large* plastic crates full of flashbulbs, and I think I spent about $200 total for at least 500 bulbs. Ge #5s, #11s, Sylvania #25s, etc. Quite a lot of huge ones as well...larger than a household tungsten bulb.

Unfortunately I got no midget bulbs, or I would give them to you!

But I would post a classified ad if I were you, or look on eBay. That's how I got mine.

3. Alisha

Alisha Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    lol Thank you.

Okay, M3 flash bulbs don't look that much expensive on eBay anyway, or I can do some extra snooping around at garage sales and flea market/swap meets. That's how I found my Polaroid in the first place, so it wouldn't hurt to do it.

4. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've gotten boxes of 144 on eBay for about $40 on average. Sometimes a lot less.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alisha, I have some new old stock M3 GE Flashbulbs. If you still need them, send me a PM.

6. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They gotta be NOS! haha.

Don't forget about M2's. Local auctions are great for bulbs when they pop up. Whenever I go to the auction house there are always ..some. Nobody wants em. I got 100 5's just a few days ago for $1 and got a bunch of crap along with em

Use em if you got em
    they're a lot of fun.

7. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go to estate sales in your area. There is a very good chance somebody in that house was using a Polaroid Land Camera like yourself and still has several boxes of bulbs somewhere. I got something like 100 bulbs for $10 at an estate sale. I mix up using a manual flash and my bulbs on my Polaroids.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alisha,

Be cautious with old flashbulbs. Be sure that they still yield vacuum.
    It will be indicated by a safety dot on the inside of the glass. This should be blue. Don't use a bulb if its dot has turned pink.

To be even more on the safe side, it would be nice if the bulb had a strong varnish on the outer of the glass or would be used in a flashgun which would yield some protection against morsels of glass flying around.

9. macmiami

macmiami Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    must sell ge m3 flashbulbs

Are you still looking for the ge m3 flasbulbs I have eight boxes with 12 packages inside with 12 in ea. package

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010
  10. Francis in VT

Francis in VT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Alisha; Don't bother with M-2 bulbs for your Polaroid. The exposure system is based on M-3 bulbs. M-2 s are fine for other cameras.
    The Polaroid 268 flash should come with a Blue shield for color film and also to prevent accidents due to broken bulbs

11. windly9

windly9 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Same or not?

Hi, does anyone know if GE M3 is having same base as Sylvania M3 and are they same type of bulb?

I read somewhere online said that GE M3 is having Bayonet base while Sylvania M3 has Miniature Pinless for its base...

So are they same or not?

BTW, what does Bayonet and miniature pinless mean?

Thanks!

12. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    GE, Westinghouse and Sylvania all made M3 bulbs. The base is the same.

It was the GE 5 and GE 6 and the Sylvania Press 25 and 26 that had the Bayonet base with pins. Lots of companies made No. 5 bulbs. All of them have pins.

13. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. pepd.de

pepd.de Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Do you still have flash bulbs to sell?
    Would you send them to Germany?

15. BarrNone

BarrNone Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    M3 Bulbs

Found my old polaroids and thought I'd start using them again now that I found out they started making film for them again. But I can't find the bulbs anywhere, not even on Ebay. Anyone know of any other options? Thanks.

16. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found plenty on ebay. Here's some to get you started:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-M3-Flas...021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c279395

http://cgi.ebay.com/32-M3-Clear-Fla...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item256440747b

http://cgi.ebay.com/SYLVANIA-M3-1-B...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item2eb3ce3eca

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOX-12-M3-BLUE-...pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item4aaa56ce39

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-3x6-F...393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e7ca21d1