M42 SLR w 1/2000 shutter speed?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by eurekaiv, Jan 17, 2012.

1. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So, I was wondering... are there any M42 SLRs with a shutter speed of 1/2000? I often find 1/1000 not quite enough using 400 film in daylight to get my apertures down to 3.5 - 4 and was wondering if there may be a different body to look for outside of the Spotmatics which all seem to only go to 1000. I found one Chinon mentioned after searching the Google but it seems like a beast based on the posts and I'd prefer something more like my Spotmatics in terms of handling.

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A neutral density filter is cheaper and takes up less room. It won't affect the handling of your Spotmatic, either.

3. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the Pentax K-mounts go to 1/2000 (can't remember which ones). You'd need a K-mount/M42 adapter, which is cheap and easy.

4. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can find one there is the cosina voigtlander bessaflex, which came out in 2003 or so. Basically the same CV mechanics in an M42 SLR flavor. That has a top speed of 1/2000.

5. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Alpa 2000 Si, most likely made by Cosina or Chinon.

6. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fair point that... it's amazing how often one (one being me, in this case) can overlook the obvious. :blink:

I'll check out the other things mentioned also. Thanks for the replies!

7. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Another approach might be to look for another camera with a 1/2000th shutter speed, and get an M-42 adapter for that mount. I can do this with some of my Minolta cameras, and my Nikon F2. M-42 really is pretty "universal."

Hmmmm. I wonder if there is an M-42 to Minolta "A" mount adapter? That would allow the use of my M-42 lenses with a top shutter speed of 1/12,000th second on the Minolta Maxxum 9 / Dynax 9.

8. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Chinon ce-2 has a 1/2000 shutter speed. It can also do aperture priority with any m42 lens. (it's a very nice camera by the way).

9. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Loman is probably referring to the Chinon CE II Memotron. Though not as small as a Spotmatic it isn't so beastly next to the Pentax ESII.

[​IMG]

10. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why yes, yes there is. The chipped mounts give focus confirmation, but you either have to buy lots of different mounts with different focal lengths or use one of the kludgy multi-focal length chips. Personally I don't bother with a chipped adapter and just use a plain one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-Lens-Minolta-MA-SONY-Alpha-Mount-Adapter-Brass-/250757310386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a624ce7b2

12. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are also adapters to mount M42 lenses on Canon EOS 35mm cameras. I use one of these with a Rebel K2 and some Super-Takumars.

13. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Fujica ST801??? On mine, top speed is 1/1500.

14. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also use M42 lenses on Rolleiflex SLRs with an adapter, keeping the auto-diaphragm mechanism.

Unfortunately 1/2000 practically limits you to the 3003 model: not exactly light and compact, but hey, you get motorized interchangeable film magazines (a' la Hasselblad), 2 viewfinders, 3 shutter buttons and one of the most unique 35mm SLRs ever made...

15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not an ST801, then.

16. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From the description linked to, it says that Pentax M42 lenses may not be able to focus to infinity on the ST801 body. Otherwise, I like the look of it quite a lot. What are your experiences with that? I'd be using metal focus ring SMC Takumar lenses with it.

17. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is the rare Mamiya 2000 DTL. It was one of the few cameras to have a horizontally traveling cloth focal plane shutter with a top speed of 1/2000. The other similar cameras which come to mind are the Olympus OM4 series models. In some cases an M42 lens will fit another camera with an adapter but in the case of Nikon or Olympus, you will not have correct infinity focus. The problem with using adapters is that you lose auto diaphragm function. The Mamiya P adapter for the Auto XTL/Auto X1000 allows for stop down metering but retains auto diaphragm function. The top shutter speed of these Mamiyas is 1/1000. If auto diaphragm function is not critical then you can buy a Cosina-made Vivitar K mount camera with a top speed of 1/2000 and use an adapter.

18. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once breifly had a ST801 and had trouble mounting *some* East & West German M42 lenses on it.
    Truth be said, I had the same trouble with Pentax ES' and also the Spotmatic F...

19. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi lxdude, You are right!! Sorry, I stand corrected! I had St 801 before and it's gone now. It's St705 with 1/1500s.
    People need to be careful when mounting SMC Takumars on Fuji body. Small pin for locking A/M aperture switch on lens body will jam in phillips screw head holes that hold body's lens mount. Very painful operation to free them out. Late Fuji M42 lenses will not properly mount on Spotmatic's due to tab (for transferring Iris value to TTL meter) protruding from the lens body. Very easy to file out if you don't mind loosing full aperture TTL with Fujica's.

20. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The mounting problem I has was with S-M-C-T and SMC Takumars on a mamiya 500 DTL. The tab on the back of the lenses would get stuck in the holes in the front of the mount. Screws went through the holes to hold the mount to the camera and their heads were just below the screw hole openings. This caused me to look for older Super Takumar and Vivitar lenses.

21. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    You are right Dynachrome, There is no problem with mounting Super Takumars. They do not have locking pin for A/M switch.

22. Phalbert

Phalbert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is an adapter for M42 to Minolta Maxx, I got one from fotodiox. Otherwise I use a ME Super (with 1/2000) and M42 to PK adapter.

23. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a SF1 with an 42m adaptor, 1/4000 with build in winder, but only works in manual or A prority modes.

24. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I literally had someone walk up to a table right ahead of me at the camera swap a couple weeks back and pick up and buy the ST801 I had spotted. No biggie except that it appeared to be functioning and the guy paid $5. If only I had arrived a few minutes sooner... :blink: