M645

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mrred, Sep 23, 2013.

1. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Mamiya 645 for about 9-10 months now and enjoy the feel of the camera. I welcome change from my Kiev 88cm with my many ultra leaky backs (only objection to that camera).

My problem with the 645 is a sometimes stiff trigger. It causes me to jerk the camera slightly. Just enough to lose sharpness. What I don't understand is sometimes the trigger is quite smooth. I also have a motorwind unit for it and it suffers the same fate. I was hoping the the consistent trigger motion would solve this.

Is there actually something wrong / worn? Is there an adjustment or something I can do?

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How are you triggering the camera---directly on the body, or is there something in between (like the auxiliary grip, or a cable release) that might be the source of the problem?

-NT

3. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a cable release just to see if it was just how I struck trigger....same problem. I normally directly use the trigger, but I will use the winder if I go somewhere....

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It isn't a problem I've experienced with my 645, anyway. It sounds like something wrong somewhere in the linkage.

-NT

5. r-brian

r-brian Member

I only had a M645 for a short time but doesn't it have 2 shutter release buttons. One on the front by the lens and one on top by the viewfinder. Try the other one and see if it's smoother.

Sounds like a CLA is in order.

6. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the only other button on the top is battery test button. Maybe you had a different model.

7. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There should be one shutter button on the top of the camera and one on the front which is the one that takes a cable release. Also, if I remember correctly the front shutter release has a locking ring. Maybe check that you don't have that partly locked?

8. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    M645J doesn't have thetop release. Sure this isnt just the mirror slap when the mirror releases? it is a bit heavy, but occurs after the shutter is fired.

9. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is the M645J.

adelorenzo: I double checked the lock. Free and clear

mr rusty: I got used to mirror slap and weight from my Kiev. The shake is from me polling to the right caused by the stiff button. On a tripod fired with a cable all is fine.

10. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, obviously something not quite right. Mine is really light. perhaps it's been knocked at some time and has a very slight bend in it? If all looks straight, I would probably try a little light oil to see if it helps Is there any gunk around the shutter at all?

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any chance the shutter release lock is partially engaged?

Assuming of course, that that model has a shutter release lock.

12. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's something I would only try with a repair manual in front of me. There is nothing to make a situation worse than not knowing any better. I am not wanting this to go to camera heaven yet.

I've been looking for a repair manual all over. Any links? All I found were sites charging for them. As I am a recent outsourcing victim, that's a game I cannot play.

13. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is what I suspect. If I place the lock halfway and then edge it towards unlock while having gentle pressure on the trigger, the next trigger is effortless. Next cock and we are back to a little stuff.

14. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Had this problem on my M645 body. Remove advance knob and peel back the leatherette to expose screws. Get the side panel off and will expose the shutter switch. This has a screw that retains this and backs off. Straighten up the switch and tighten the screw, you should be good to go. Hope this helps, Steven.

15. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you refer to the advance knob, do you mean the clip-on part or the whole assembly?

16. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    The whole knob, the release is on the outer circumference. This should be covered in the owner's manual. Just proceed with caution, Steven.