Maco 820C in 5x4 - Will it fog in std DDS ie fidelity?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Tom Stanworth, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have dabbled with Maco 820C in rollfilm and am thinking of trying 5x4, but at £40 a box, want to make sure that it will not fog in std DDS under bright conditions. This may seem a daft question (as how else would you use the stuff), but thought it worth asking as someone mentioned that Kodak HIE could be a problem before being discontinued in 5x4. All rumour and hearsay. Has anyone tried it in 5x4 in std DDS?

Anyone tried the version without the anti-halation dye?

Is it me or is Maco quality control not good. (I had 820C rollfilm backing tape holding the film to backing snag and jam my holder on 5 out of 10 rolls and a pack of their FB warmtone (Chamois base) matt paper all produce streaky prints (NO other papers thru same developer did. I pulled out the last sheet from the 'trial pack 'without development and slightly dark streaks (purple/brown) were visible on the virgin paper)

Why am I so keen to try another maco product?

Tom

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just curious, but what does the acronym "DDS" stand for? I know it has to do with double sided film holders...but beyond that I'm not sure :smile:

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have used IR 820c with good results in "standard" holders. No fogging, except for one - but that holder later fogged EFKE PL100 too, so it's nothing to do with the film.

I have also tried the "Aura" version, but can't really see the big difference. It makes a lot of difference in smaller formats, but in LF? Well, a 0.5mm extra halation doesn't really give the same glop on 4x5" as it does on 35mm...

I do have a fog problem with the Aura. But that's because I develop by inspection in a leaky darkroom, so the anti-halation layer is necessary to shield the emulsion until the development is well underway. I'll try tank (JOBO) next time.

Jeremy, a DDS is a Double Dark Slide. Stupid name for film holders, but then again English isn't my native language :wink:

4. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Kodak HIE in standard darkslides with no problems. Just be careful to shield the opening on the end that the sheath goes into from direct sun.