Maco Products

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mobtown_4x5, Jul 14, 2004.

1. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey guys-

Just looking around over at Retro Photog- the folks who are famous for bringing you POP (which I'm ichin to try as soon as I have a neg big enough to contact)- man they have some interesting products-

noticed some really facinating stuff made by "Maco", including a "Cube" film described as being triple-coated with various grain emulsions (!!), a ISO 25 film, varous lith/amidol developers, and a direct positive material- among other neat stuff... Great prices also- unfortunately- the sizing on some stuff (except the IR) is "metric"- ...questions...

Has anyone used any of this stuff?

Can you get away with the 9x12 cm in 4X5 holders- maybe with a mod?

Aren't these guys totally cool and very worthy of our love and $$?

Matt

2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You have a URL?

I would like to check them out, since I am going to give JandC a try, why not them...:smile:

3. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Matt, unfrotunatelly they only offer roll film....tsk tsk...

5. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have bought products from Repro but, if we are talking about the same outlet here in UK, they are only 'up the road' from me. Who makes Maco film ?

6. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Roy, maco make maco products - Mr Cad have sold them here for a long while.

I think this is thier homepage (although I'm sure they used to have a dedicated site ...?

http://www.mahn.net/Frameset.htm

Roger Hicks may have said he likes Maco Cube ... but then again, he has also said one of his favourite films is Ilford SFX ... enough said? :wink:

cheers!

8. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Retro Photographic also sell Efke Roll and 35mm films however they are expensive compared to Photo Impex in Berlin (who also run a very efficient mail order service)

9. jim kirk jr.

jim kirk jr. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used maco cube plus,as good as anything else-still prefer hp5 but I've used hp5 more too.Maco 820c ir film is excellent(my opinion)but I use 35mm.
    If you need to contact them e-mail at www.mahn.net I've e-mailed them a few times about their products and get a reasonably timely response.They should be able to answer any questions you have .Also if need be contact Gary Bartoloni at the light registry e-mail-gary@the lightregistry.com or check out their site. He also supplies it in the US along with freestylephoto and bhphotovideo.

10. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I compared the prices on the two carefully a few months ago (based on postage to the UK).

PI had good prices, but charged a flat postage rate, which is VERY expensive if you only order a few films. Retro charge a little more, but the postage is proportional to the order size.

I figured I needed to buy about 25 rolls of efke r127 to make PI cheaper.

Mr Cad also were cheaper per film, but with a crippling postage surcharge.

I've bought a fair bit of stuff from Retro, and would recommend them, even if only because they're totally committed so supporting the communitee. One time I phoned in an order and ended up chatting for 20 mins to Nigel about tlr's.

I just got a batch of chemicals from them (Maco), as the service at the local photo shop has just got so bad I refuse to give them any more money. I'm sure they'll tell me they're dropping chemistry because no one is buying it - well I'm not buying it because they have a dreadfull range, and charge through the roof! The plan is to try a few of Retro's options and find something new to settle on as a standard dev.

Ian

11. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    definitely, Ian. Nigel is very helpful - and I think that is worth paying a tiny bit more for. I understand that the range will be increasing soon too - all the more reason to offer our support.

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Some of the Maco products are sold in the U.S. as Cachet. I've been using Cachet/Maco Expo graded paper for enlargements for a while, and I really like it. It looks good in Agfa Neutol WA, but also responds very well to amidol. Lately I've been processing it mainly in Michael Smith's amidol formula for enlarging papers.

13. jim kirk jr.

jim kirk jr. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    cachet had it's contract cancelled a few months back(at least that is what Hans O mahn,inc-the makers of Maco film told me)my previous thread has the maco website and a few others on it.

14. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the info, Jim. Maybe J&C can pick up the slack or I'll just order from Europe when the stock runs out.

15. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    "Thanks Matt, unfrotunatelly they only offer roll film....tsk tsk..."

If you click on the "cart" under a film type, all the sizes come up- looks like the cube and ISO 25 is offered in 9x12 cm, and the IR in 4x5...

anyone know if I can get away with 9x12 cm film in 4x5 holders, or does someone sell holders (that will fit the Shen-Hao) or some sort of an insert?

I'd like to try thier chemicals too, does anyone know what distinguishes a "lith" developer or what is meant by the "lith effect"

Matt

16. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The 9x12cm holders are the same (external) size as 4x5" ones. They can be used on the same cameras - as indeed I do. Since some films are only available in 9x12cm and some in 4x5", I have both sizes of holders. 9x12cm is very common in Germany, Sweden and eastern Norway, while 4x5" dominates here in the west :confused:

Lisco, Fidelity, and all the other normal brands fit. Especially Linhof :wink:

Lith printing is a whole 'nother discussion, as well as the subject of the recent series by Tim Rudman in "Black & White Photography" (Ailsa's Rag).

17. jandc

jandc Member

We can get the Expo paper direct from the factory that produced it for Maco if there is enough interest in it. If anyone is interested please contact us by email.

18. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, John. I'm stocked up for now, but when I'm running low, I'll definitely be in touch.