Made in Italy?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Steve Mack, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been using a house brand color print film, which I pick up from Food Lion, a chain in Virginia. A good reason for me to buy it is that it's not bad, and I can get 4 24-exposure rolls for $6.00. On the box, I saw that the film is made in Italy. Which company do you think it could be?:confused:

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards.

Steve

2. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It will have been made by Ferrania.

3. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ferrania is my guess.

didn't know they were still in the game. guess I'm wrong :smile:.

-Dan

4. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't been able to get the Ferrania house brand of Solaris. I believe its been discontinued, which is a pain, as the wife liked the pastel hand tinted effect she got with it.

IIRC a lot of own label film these days tends to be Fuji though I may be off on that point

5. traveller

traveller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know Ferrania stopped coating last year

John

6. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are still coating.
    I contacted them directly in 2010 and that was the answer I received.

8. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are certainly lots of private label films around made by them, and for many decades that has been the major part of their business. Even a few years back it was really difficult to find their own Solaris brand. In the UK none of the major mail order film retailers ever carried it. But sometimes you could find them, in the UK, in cheap discount stores such as Poundland. I think Ferrania are supplying the Lupus Group in Germany, who currently seem to have the right to use the Agfaphoto trade mark, with film for their range of Agfaphoto Vista colour print films. But who is supplying the Agfaphoto branded slide film I don't know.

9. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, I noticed Solaris 35mm color neg on sale at a small photo/gift shop in Italy last week, along with a small variety of Kodak and Fuji color slide and neg and Ilford B&W. The owner seemed to be an enthusiast, as, apart from all the usual digital stuff for sale, there was also an interesting little display of old still and cine cameras, including a Graflex.

10. Fredrik Sandstrom

Fredrik Sandstrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Current Agfaphoto Precisa boxes say "Made in Japan". So that would be Fuji.

11. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Poundland is carrying Kodak Colorplus at the moment. Perfectly good film, and cheap enough for testing out yet another camera that finds its way into my sticky paws, and for general mucking about with alt-process

12. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can certainly understand the desire for cheap film. However, wouldn't it makes sense to pay about $2 more and get Kodak or Fuji from B&H? (i.e. 4 films for $8 instead of off-brand @ 4 for $6). I'm pretty sure the grain is tighter and Q.C. higher. Unless there is a particular characteristic of the off-brand that you like, of course. :D

Just curious...

13. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The "funny" thing is that I haven't seen Ferrania films in italian shops since the '70s. Misteries of the globalisation... :rolleyes:

14. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Until recently I saw Made In Italy color print film under the Shoprite name. I have a good supply of CVS (Fuji) film on hand and even some of the older Agfa made Walgreens color print film. When I was in England in 1992 I ran out of the film I brought and bought some Boots brand coloe print film. It was 3M/Ferrania. The grain was somewhat higher than what a comparable Kodak film would have given but sharpness and color were fine. With the currency exchange and the general high cost wherever I looked, the Kodak film was a lot more expensive. There is a lot of Agfaphoto color print film on eBay, which I think is really Ferrania. The sellers are mostly in China or South Korea.