MAGNAchrom Issue #2 is now available free to registered users

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews & Shows' started by MAGNAchrom, Dec 18, 2006.

1. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]

I am pleased to announce that the 2nd issue of MAGNAchrom is available for free to registered users at www.magnachrom.com.

This issue is primarily an analog one with articles featuring the work of Lance Keimig, Michael Veit, and Jorge Gasteazoro. There is also a free downloadable BTZS spreadsheet for those of you who still do darkroom work and wish to explore this advanced method of shooting and printing B&W.

MAGNAchrom is published six times per year and is dedicated to users of medium and large format cameras. We look forward to your feedback and hope to see some of your (medium or large format) work in these pages!

2. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aren't you a little late with this post? I think I read it almost 2 days ago now (Saturday night??).

3. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The official notice went out today, Monday Dec 18th. If you managed to have heard about it previous to today, then I would assume that you were informed by one of our many beta testers. (as a side note: we *DID* send out an early notice yesterday to people who had trouble registering the first issue -- perhaps you were one of those?)

Anyway, since this is an analog forum (and this is a mostly analog issue), we would very much like receive any feedback (positive or negative) about the magazine -- especially the BTZS article and the free BTZS calculator. (in particular, we hope to receive any ideas for improvements to the calculator as that will continue to be revisioned for many years to come)

We hope you appreciate MAGNAchrom and we look forward to continue serving the analog community for many years.

BTW, the next issue features the stunning B&W work of Don Kirby.

4. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, I'm just one of those idiots that was checking your site every couple of days looking for something new to read. I knew it was due any day, so it was just a matter of seeing the new issue and downloading it.

Unfortunately the new 4 squares feature leaves me with only TLR's as a choice, but then again I probably won't have anything (that I feel is) worth submitting.

5. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So are you saying that you would be willing to submit to MC if we had a large-format equivalent to 4-square?

If so, what would we call it? 4-sheets? :wink:

No seriously, is this something people would want to see?

6. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Three sheets to the wind.

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I shoot both MF and LF (as well as the occasional 35mm), and I shoot all in a wide range of formats. About 90% of my MF is 6x4.5, 90% of the remainder is 6x9. The final 1% is about equally divided between 6x6 and 6x7. So not a lot of squares there...

I prefer the narrower formats, which may be part of the reasin why I prefer 5x7" and 9x12cm to 4x5", and 18x24cm to 8x10". 24x30cm is a great format, and 30x40cm is both too big and too square for me.

So: No, I don't believe I'll contribute to 4-square in the near future.

8. jsouther

jsouther Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just downloaded both issues. Fantastic content! Not through the first issue yet, can't wait to read the latest.

9. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great initiative, I registered and enjoyed the issue. Anda ... I shoot 6x6 (Rolleiflex 6008i) :smile:

M.

10. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL! Hey that would be an interesting column:

ANNOUNCING: Three Sheets to the Wind -- photos taken when you were intoxicated! :wink:

I guess the only concern I would have is how to PROVE you were snookered when taking the photos (wouldn't be fair if you weren't after all!)

11. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well that could be a good share of my images. Not that I was intoxicated at the time, just, perhaps, a small problem with focus, framing, wind, general camera handling, etc.

12. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I enjoyed this issue very much. Michael Veit's work is excellent...I hadn't seen it here (on apug) before even though his membership goes back to 2002 or so. It was nice to read Jorge's (or as some wag on the LF forum calls him: "Whore Hey") article too. He's missed here, controversy or not! The digi-analog essay was very interesting. It's nice to see that film still rules. (I wonder if it still will when we have to make our own ;0 ). A worthy enterprise. Thank you Michael Sullivan!

13. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a reminder, if you shoot square format rollfilm and you think your work is good enough to be published, then be sure to check out page 15 of the 2nd issue of MAGNAchrom -- there you will see a form to submit your work for inclusion in "4-Square" a new feature of MC that shows off four square images from one of our registered users. All you have to do is send the required information to foursquare "@" magnachrom.com and you could see your work in the next issue of our magazine. Enter as often as you like. We hope to see some stunning work submitted -- there certainly are plenty of talented artists to choose from here on the APUG forum.

14. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very attractive magazine with some very good articles. I'm glad to see more magazines going the .pdf route. I've read Phil Davis book, but just haven't pursued the BTZS methodology. Jorge's article & your calculator encourages me to reconsider.
    Keep up the good work!

15. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice article by Jorge on the BTZS. Even better is the spreadsheet plotter. On that subject, I have a problem. The instructions say to move the triangle in the EFS calculation sheet to suit the plotted curves but I am unable to select it in order to move it (Excel 2003). Any ideas?

Cheers, Bob.

16. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me check it out and get back to you.

17. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have found your online publication to be outstanding. A welcome addition to the photography community.

18. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guess we somehow missed this during the beta test (bad, bad beta testers!!)

Anyway, a new build 2 of the BTZS Calculator is now up on the site free to download for registered users. Thanx for the feedback!

19. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks - that did the job :smile:

Cheers, Bob.

20. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Mr. Sullivan,
    I subcribed yesterday but untill now I haven't recieved no email... Something wrong??

21. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Problem solved, Thanks.