mail-order 120 E-6/C-41 recommendations

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by TomWB, Jun 29, 2005.

1. TomWB

TomWB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for recommendations for mail-order labs in USA for processing 120 color films. Want the roll returned un-cut, no prints, 6x12 format. I will be (shhhh) scanning on 3200 flatbed and then printing.

Does anyone use the Kodak or A&I mailers for 120, I would imagine they would do this? I don't want the returned cut up in 6x6 mounts, for example...I used to use "The Lab" in St. Louis years ago for 120 format, but couldn't find them online. Have good labs here in Seattle, but mail-order is way more convenient for me.

Thanks
    Tom

2. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used A&I for a few things, including 6x9 transparancies. Worked great. They are very responsive.

You probably already know, but the A&I mailers are cheaper from B&H than A&I.

Matt

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, Calypso Imaging of Santa Clara, California. Their prices are excellent and their turnaround times fast. I recommend them highly. Their web address is: http://www.calypsoinc.com/

You can't go wrong with these guys.

4. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Calypso are great. However, don't they have a rather high shipping charge? they waive it if your order is over $150, as I recall.

Matt

5. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A&I is great for 120 slides. They don't cut the film. It is sleaved and shipped in a sturdy box. I have never had a problem. I have never tried them for negative film.

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They have free shipping (FedEx) for orders over $80.00. Their rates vary depending on what you are shooting. For example, for Nature, Landscape, Fine Art, and Travel photographers, a 120mm Roll, sleeved, is $4.10, or $6.00 for Commercial photographers.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The A&I mailers are great. Quality of a NYC pro lab at about half the price.

8. TomWB

TomWB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the responses. I ordered A&I mailers from B&H. While browsing around B&H I found it interesting that the Kodak PK-36 mailers for E-6 or Kodachrome 35mm are now priced at $8.99, unless that's an error on B&H's site. Seems like I last bought some at B&H a year or so ago and they were at or just under $5. I think I get Kodak's message loud and clear.

9. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe Kodak sends to Dwayne's in Kansas, which is the only K14 lab they refer to in the US. Using Dwayne's direct, a single roll of Kodachrome is $8.50 plus shipping, I think. So Kodak's $8.99 charge simply reflects the actual retail charge. I don't think there's any "message" here.

Earl
    "PLEASE don't take my Kodachrome away."

10. TomWB

TomWB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Earl, I've written to B&H for clarification. I went to my B&H account, where I checked my order history. On September 9, 2004, I ordered 10 PK-36 mailers which cost $4.79 each. They now list PK-24 for $3.99 (seems correct )and PK-36 at $8.99 (seems wrong). Yes, my recent kodak mailers have gone to Dwaynes, with good results. If I hear back from B&H I'll post it here.

11. TomWB

TomWB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

response from B&H:
    Kodak has closed most of the labs that do Kodachrome processing and that is why the prices have increased. The cost of the 24 exposure mailer is low because they do not make 24 exposure rolls of Kodachrome film anymore.

12. Paul_Baker

Paul_Baker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can definitely recommend my local lab here. They are at www.chromfilmlab.com. Never had a problem and are very nice to work with.

Paul B