Mail order C41 or Walmart?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Iluvmycam, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The little photo lab I used is shutting down. That leaves Walmart. I never tried them. Don't know if they even do 120. But was wondering what good mail order options are there for 120 C41 neg developing? I dont want them scratched.

Thanks

2. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I believe I'd use the advertiser I've seen at the top of this site. I've heard stories about Walmart that are not comforting--like not getting your negatives back and such things. I don't believe I'd trust an "associate" to know their hind end from a hole in the ground.

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Darkroom, San Clement CA.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wallmart sends out to dwaynes all 120 + e6 + b/w
    if you give them c41 you won't get your film back
    if you bring it to rite aid instead, they will return everything
    and send both to fujilabs + dwaynes ( e6, 120 &c )

the darkroom is a sponsor and i have only heard great things about them ..
    i think blue moon ( also a sponsor ) also does lab-work

5. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, will check out the darkroom.

Thanks

6. lhalcong

lhalcong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, walmart does not return film. If you had 35mm I would process some of your rolls at no cost as my own volume is low, or if you have lots of rolls for a small fee.
    however, there are still quite a few options in the market. web search will turn out some options. I have used pcraft.com in the past. Very professional but not cheap.

7. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    C-41 35mm film done at Walmart. You will not get your negatives back. E-6 processing at Walmart, I haven't had any bad luck and the price ($6.88) for 36 exposure, isn't bad. I know they do accept 120, but beyond that I don't know.

I personally develop my own C-41, and if its important, I take it to one specific CVS. They do a very good job developing, but at nearly $12 a roll, it's pricey!

8. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second John's recommendation for APUG advertiser Blue Moon (in Oregon), even though your info says "NE USA".

Blue Moon has processed 120 E-6 for me and the results were wonderful. I have even received direct phone calls from them to confirm details of my processing request, just to make sure they had it right before starting. That is customer service you just can't beat.

Ken

9. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use The Darkroom and have been quite happy with their work. And they are quick.

10. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's who I send my color film to. I've also sent to Dwayne's and "A and I". No problems with any of them, but A and I doesn't do E6 anymore, I believe.

11. dngrhm

dngrhm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got back my first 2 rolls of 35mm E-6 from Walmart. On sending them in, I checked the special instructions box on both envelopes and wrote in "E-6 processing. No Prints. No Scans. No CD." The first roll came back mounted in cardboard slides. They look great and no scratches (I have only viewed them holding them up to a light. There may be subtle scratches I can't see)
    The second roll was incorrectly processed. :sad: My guess is they put it through C-41 without reading the envelope. They are clear with what looks like B&W image on them. The slides are cut 4 slides to a strip. They also included a best attempt black and white print, a "The machine did it" letter, and a disposable camera with Superia 800 in it. I send RVP100 and they compensate with Superia 800. I will be calling to see if they will do any better.
    If you go the Walmart route, write E-6 all over the envelope.

12. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Walmart? Not hardly. You'll never hear of an ex Walmart "associate" going on to work for NASA. I doubt I'd hire one to paint a barn.

13. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Miller's Professional Imaging has a great "proof special". It's about $8 for develop, print, and scan of a roll 120 film. Free FedEx overnight return shipping. The quality is second to none. www.millerslab.com

14. dngrhm

dngrhm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The intelligence of the Walmart employee has nothing to do with their film processing. Not to deride them further, but, to put it quite simply, if they are able to take your name and search for it amongst the film that has been received and take your money at the register, they are 100% capable to perform their job as far as film processing is concerned. Walmart sends out all film. They process none in-house. All processing is handled by Fujifilm. I have heard Dewayne's, but the letter I got back is on Fujifilm letterhead with an address in Greenwood, SC. Walmart is just the store front and the cashier.

15. dngrhm

dngrhm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I called the number on the letter and was pleasantly surprised. The call was answered by a recording that gave general office info, but went straight to a CSR type person. No menu to navigate! She was very polite, listened to my concern, and took the envelope number to see what they had on record. She asked me what I would like for them to do. I explained how I would prefer slide film over print. She put me on hold to see if they had any available to send out. She took my address and said they would send some out. Now it's time to wait. That seems to be the case with Walmart processing... waiting. 2 weeks from dropping the film off to picking it up. I'm not sure what is normal for mail services.

16. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and if they do it with a smile and/or kind word then they have exceeded expectations!

17. dngrhm

dngrhm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Miller's is not hobbyist friendly :sad: Though that pricing sounds decent. You have to sign up to see their pricing which involves name, phone, address, studio name, approximate of how much you will spend, how much will be resold. Don't enter 0% for percent resold, it will give you an error.

18. dngrhm

dngrhm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was expecting this to take longer as Miller's said it would take a day to check my application. Nope. Looks like auto-approve. Now I have to send them 4 images and get "free stuff" before I get login information. 2 8x10's of 4 different images. One straight, one color-corrected. I just want to see what it will cost if I continue this charade as a studio. Best part so far was making up a studio name <shrug>. Again they might be great once you go through the rigamarole, but I'm done.

19. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it was much longer when I sent mine to Blue Moon. I used UPS ground to send it, though, and it was going from PA to WA. Once they had it, they were efficient and good.

20. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Well unfortunately, these days it is very likely than an ex NASA scientist is now a Walmart "Associate".

21. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  22. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some Walmarts do c-41 in house for 35mm and most do not.

I always have to question why so many people think that Walmart would spend the time and money to send film from all over the country to Dwaynes in Kansas. When they were the only game for Kodachrome then of course they'd send the Kodachrome there, but why on earth would a 'lowest prices' place bother with the rest of it. Call the 800 number that's on the sendout envelopes to find out where it goes (a regional Fuji lab).

The last time I used Walmart I specified process only, no scans no prints. I got back an envelope with prints (looked great) which they charged for. It was from an Olympus Pen EEs, so 72 exposures. The price was just over $30 since they didn't diptych it. So much for saving a few bucks, I'll use the local pro lab for $7.50 a roll and save a bundle.

23. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    praus productions in Rochester is THE BEST...check it out for yourselves
    best, peter

24. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you really think they are the BEST please take a moment to post a comment here.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/116941-list-mail-order-film-labs.html
    If you send them more clients they may stay in business.
    You know what they say about word of mouth advertizing.

25. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    walmart doesn't send from all over the world to dwaynes in kansas. as you stated fuji labs usa has the contract for all walmart/sams club send out processing
    as well as rite aid pharmacy and a handful of other places ( if they still have send out seeing they are the only large lab left ) ...
    fuji 135 / 35mm c41 ( and kodak cnbw chromo c41 ) in house, nothing else. everything else ... 8, super8mm, 16mm, 120 format, 110, 126, black/white, c41 and e6 is sent to dwaynes .
    the walmarts have a kiosk at the photo lab because they don't pay for return shipping. the scanned 35mm color film is uploaded and then dye sub-printed
    (or whatever minilab printer they have) in-store and the disk and prints are given to the customer. its been that way for 2-3 years now.
    rite aid doesn't have the kiosk they WILL return all film and prints.

they really charged you 30$ to process film ?
    i used to have them make double prints of my 72exp half frame rolls and it would cost me about 5$ ... process only was about 2$ ( before they stopped sending film back )

sounds like you should have complained to fuji and gotten a 15 roll processing credit ...