Making a non-photo bag get along with cameras

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by David R Munson, Aug 1, 2009.

1. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My situation is this as follows. Simply put, I need to make the bag below work for photo stuff now and then when I need to be on a bicycle for long periods of time and also carry bike stuff like a patch kit, rain jacket, etc.

The bag: Chrome Warsaw

If it comes down to it in the end, I can just shove my shoulder bag inside, but I'd prefer to find a more elegant solution. I will be carrying:

• Mamiya 645 Pro with winder and prism
    • 80mm f/1.9 and 45mm f/2.8 lenses
    • Canon digital body
    • 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses
    • 2x 120 backs
    • Light meter
    • Memory cards
    • Compendium shade
    • A metric crapton of film

I have very, very little experience with the padded inserts and wraps available. Suggestions would be appreciated.

A few things to keep in mind:
    • I'll be on a bicycle
    • Yes, I know it would suck to crash with cameras in my bag, but I've been there, done that, etc
    • Racks/panniers on the bike are OUT
    • No chance of car transport for all practical purposes

EDIT: link added on the bag. whoops!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You might find a Crumpler photo insert that's pretty much a direct fit, since they are essentially messenger bags with photo inserts sold separately.

Domke inserts also come in a variety of convenient configurations and can be mixed and matched, so that's another possibility.

3. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The main issue, I think, is finding something that would work well for a 645 with grip, prism, and lens mounted. Most of the inserts seem to be sized for 35mm stuff. I'll check into the Crumpler offerings.

4. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Chrome Metro. For the cameras that seem more fragile I wrap them in a sweater before putting them into the bag. That said, I always have a Holga and Olympus XA at the bottom of the bag. I guess you could wrap up the extra[not on cam] lenses and throw them in there, while just letting the cameras be in the bottom.

5. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    <3 Chrome Metropolis. After 5 years, mine is starting to show some wear but I love it and use it daily. Need something bigger and better for heavier loads, though, hence the Warsaw.

6. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check out Freight baggage. My friend has the largest backpack from there and its absolutely huge! I also love Pac designs bags, but they're too expensive for now.