Making a Pano Mask for 4x5 Groundglass

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shawn Dougherty, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I need to make a 2x5 inch viewing mask for the center of my Toyo 45AII groundglass. It is marked for 6x7 and 6x9 but I am the type that actually needs to block the extra area off so that I cannot see it when composing.

I'm sure I have read threads about this in the past but I cannot seem to find them through search.

If anyone has any suggestions, examples or can point me to one of the old threads I would appreciate it.

-------------------------------------

Backgound: I want to make 2x5 inch contact prints and will just be masking the groundglass for viewing, then exposing the entire sheet of film and cropping when I print. I do not want to buy a roll film holder for various reasons including:
    cost, weight, removing the ground glass in the field, and using zone system processing.

I also do NOT want to use a half darkslide at this time. I used one for 5 years with 8x10 and know the pros and cons as well as how to make and use them. I do not want to go that route for several reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nothing fancy, but I've done this with blue painter's tape to mask an 8x10 back down to 5x7. It's simple to put on and easy to take off, and it doesn't leave a residue.

3. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Get a dark colored piece of card stock or black poster board ( about $1 at Target).
    Cut a piece to fit the ground glass or the ground glass opening of the camera.
    Center the precise format opening on the ground glass cover piece and cut out with a straight edge and razor knife.
    Attach to the ground glass/camera with rubber cement.

4. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the thoughts fellows! I should mention that I want a mask that is easy to put on and take off. I shoot mostly full frame 4x5.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A piece of fogged/unexposed film should work and you may already have a supply..

6. wombat2go

wombat2go Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    6 x9 version of thin cardboard and magic tape

Attached Files:

7. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Black 1/4 inch (or thinner?) foam core, hinge/attach with velcro. Piece of door skin (1/8 inch thick) in place of foam core. Depending on back design felt or foam rubber on the edges could make it an easy to install/remove pressure fit.

8. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Excellent ideas, fellows. Thanks!

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like that idea. For some reason never thought of it!

10. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you happen to have some Pictorico OHP Transparency Film you can print any size outline and/or colored mask with your computer. Cut it out to fit the size of your groundglass. Just lay them in and remove with no need for adhesive or cutting out windows.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/