Making "fog" effect trough paper negative processing?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Helinophoto, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi

Been awed by the "Architect's brother" series by Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison.
    They used a combination of painting and paper negative process AFAIK and I've been reading up on the process, at least from what I can find around the net, especially the stuff William Mortensen did.

Now, I do have a suitable negative that I am planning to use for my processing in the darkroom.

What I need to achieve, is something like this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...71881.217184631647141&type=1&relevant_count=1
    (photo is publicly viewable even if you don't have facebook, so go ahead and have a look).

This is Fomapan 100 @ 50 in Rodinal, shot with my Mamiya RZ 67 II and an autoknips ^_^

On the photo you see here, I used photoshop(I know ssshhhhh!) to create the mist-effect and the toning.

But I originally wanted to achieve the same result using traditional ways, IE. darkroom printing and preferably using paper negatives and manipulation.

This means that I will have to create fog somehow during my negative - paper positive - paper negative - paper positive, process.

How do one actually make believable "haze" or fog during that process....?
    The fog needs to do two things:
    - To be fog (duh)
    - To diffuse the lines in the horizon, so that it is a gradual transition from the far-away land towards the polluted sky.
    - It needs to be pretty light in tones, as your average fog is, so I am not entirely sure if I can just "paint" fog in there on the positive...?

Original shot has normal, overcast skies, but no fog.

Any good ideas?

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi there

i have a few ideas for you but they might not be very good :smile:

first, rather than using fresh film and fresh paper to do your work
    you might look for something a bit on the out of date side. film fog
    and paper fog might be your friend in cases like this ...
    you might also process your film in a paper developer or film developer that
    increases fog on your negative ... for a long time i got very foggy film, outdated film
    and processed it in spent paper developer ... it is tricky because sometimes you get bromide streaking :sad:
    you might be able to do this with "combination printing" by sandwiching a foggy negative along with your other negative ( or negatives ? )
    to make your final print ... processing the print in a coffee based developer might help with your toning as well,
    coffee sometimes, depending on how strong, and the type of coffee it is + additives in the developer, can give a nice and weird brownish
    greyish silverish tone :smile: ... as for the out of focus sort of thing ... you might have to find the sweet spot with your lens &c ..
    stop down a little bit, and FRONT focus ... so things upto-and a little behind your main subject is in focus and then behind goes out of focus ...

i hadn't seen the work you mentioned, i love that sort of wacky edwardian - stuff, i hate to say this but it reminds me a little bit
    of thomas dolby's she blinded me with science ( a tiny bit ) but the architect's brother is much more fun :smile:

good luck !!

john

3. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input Jnanian, very valuable information.

I've been having my brain on the back-burner all day (working "off-line" on the problem, while I was doing other stuff), trying to figure our how to successfully do this.

From the scraps of information, the ParkerHarrison's used paint to mask their clip-ins when they merged and manipulated, and they also painted the final prints (as far as I understand, the prints in the series are pretty huge and impressive).

You can see most of their works from that series here: http://www.geh.org/parkeharrison/
    - Very impressive and etheral'ish feel, also sort of a steam-punk-style to the technology the brother uses. =)

Love the mood and the message, processing....well just about everything. ^^

I have tried to develop a few prints in caffenol (C-H), it seemed to be pretty low in contrast though, but then again, the prints I tried in caffenol, ironically concerning this thread, was actually taken on a foggy day, haha! :smile:
    I blogged about it here: http://helino-photo.blogspot.no/2011/11/caffenol-silverprint.html

The paper I used for that was "Work", fixed grade 3 paper (RC), something I got with the enlarger i bought used...it's more brown than green really, but it is kind of green :blink:

I've been thinking if I should just try and scrape off or dissolve the first paper-positive's paper-emulsion with something (terpentine???) at the horison level.
    If I am able to have control while dissolving it somehow, it will most likely give me pretty smooth transitions, then I can use charcoal on the back of the first positive, to "dirten up" the haze, while still looking smooth, along with dodge/burn on later stages.

I indeed need to tone the print, so the caffenol-tip was a good one =)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013