Making gum prints with ashes

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Uncle Goose, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anybody any experience with using ashes from cremated people for gum print? Perhaps it's a strange question but in the near future I might have somebody that might ask me to do this with a photograph from the deceased. She knows I'm into alternative process and a few years back we chatted about using cremains for alt process, I told here that it should be possible to do (although one should probably mix in some pigment too) but it was more a brain doodle than anything else. It's perhaps a little controversial to say the least but perhaps somebody has more experience in this?

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A woman I know does this; she's not terribly forthcoming with details on how she does it, though. I'd buy some beef bones and burn them to ash and use that as a test.

3. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rather than gum, might I suggest "carbon" prints - By mixing the ashes in a gelatin support, you'd get a thicker layer that should give more depth to the image. As the "pigment" (for the want of a better word) would be white to light grey, a black paper would probably be needed.