Making Kodak Film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by michael_r, Jun 24, 2013.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just wanted to recommend Bob Shanebrook's book Making Kodak Film. The book is out of print and my understanding is it won't be printed again so get em while you can.

I received my copy a few days ago and have read it cover to cover a few times already. It is easy to read, has lots of good diagrams and is full of wonderful photographs of every part of the operation. The reader comes away with an appreciation for just how incredibly complicated and delicate the end to end process is. The machinery alone is incredible. That it all works is truly mind boggling.

One can only imagine what Eastman Park was like in the heyday, when not only was the scale of coating operations massive (films and paper) but armies of scientists were busy doing research on emulsions, developers...

Michael

2. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will second your recommendation, Michael. I also bought a copy. Excellent money spent! It's the first resource I pull out whenever someone asks me why I still prefer using "low-tech" film for photography. Works every time.

:smile:

Ken

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wonderful book. I have my copy too! One thing you can't see in the book is the real machines in action. That was a real sight to behold!

My best wishes to Bob and to all who bought his book.

PE

4. gleaf

gleaf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Very pleased with the book. Money well spent.

5. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have a copy and have enjoyed reading it. If you have any interest in learning how quality film was manufactured this is a very informative book with a bunch of very good pictures.

6. OzJohn

OzJohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought the book not long after it was released and count it as one of the better photography books I own. Shame if it will not be reprinted as that probably means that in a year or so we'll see copies being flogged on Amazon and eBay for exorbitant sums. I'd much rather see authors get the money than carpetbaggers. OzJohn

7. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great book with lots of nice photos detailing the processes. I got mine a little while back and requested it signed too. :smile:

8. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had one, loaned it out to a fellow photogrpaher and am having a challenge getting it back, so two of us obviously like it.

9. falotico

falotico Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just bought one and Mr. Shanebrook asked me in an email how I heard about his book. I told him I saw these posts on APUG of course!