Making my move...

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Dorothy Blum Cooper, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Dorothy Blum Cooper

Dorothy Blum Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...to North Carolina. Actually we're all making the move from here. My husband, youngest daughter and eldest son will be leaving our home state (Louisiana) this week for our new home in North Carolina. I've been telling everyone that Katrina made us do it :wink: Seriously...some of you may or may not know that since September 2004, my husband and I have been caring for our now 22 year old son (he's 3rd in line of our 6 children) since he was left disabled from a series of brain surgeries to remove a brain tumor. Michael is barely able to walk, usually uses a walker or cane to move from place to place, can barely see and has a feeding tube in place since he fights constant nausea/vomiting.

With all of these symptoms persisting and the loss of Tulane's medical staff from the storm last August, we were somewhat left with no choice. We've been searching for a number of months for a place that was willing to take Michael on as a 'case' to see how we could help improve his condition or just make life a little easier for him. Being as he was an athletic little boy who loved being in the outdoors, it's been quite difficult for him to be confined inside for such long periods of time. In addition to being an athlete in high school and an avid outdoorsman, Michael was actively serving in the USAF when the tumor was diagnosed in 2004. He had already been to Iraq & Kuwait and was heading back for a second tour when things hit.

In late April/early May, we made a trip up to Duke University's Brain Tumor Center in Durham. Without hesitation, they agreed to have Michael as a patient. We were more than happy and relieved!!

Reluctantly, I'm having to leave my 21 year old daughter here to finish one semester of college. :sad: It's quite hard as we are an extremely close family, but we know this must be done.

So, in two days we will be hitting the road with two large moving vans, a pull behind trailer, a small truck in tow and our daughter driving our full size van, up to N.C. (not to mention two unhappy cats who can't quite figure out what we're doing here!)

I'm also hoping that this move will help give me more time with my photography. The only draw back to the home we bought is that there's no basement or out-building for a darkroom. Of course, Bobby (my husband) and I will have to do something quick!!! We have to have a darkroom!!!

We are all excited and a bit nervous, but hope that this will open some doors for new possibilities in all respects for us.

Hoping to return to Apug soon!!!

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have a safe journey and I hope things get better for you and your family.

Best wishes.

3. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So sorry to hear about your son. I know what you mean about leaving your daughter behind... I had to do that too when we moved from Michigan to Wisconsin. Hopefully she will join you when she is done.

Good luck in your new adventures!

4. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Good luck!!

5. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dorothy, sorry all this stuff has happened to you.

You'll love NC once you take a few night courses to learn the language.

Good luck.

Michael

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wishing you the best Dorothy, I know you are making a sacrifice here, but it will be worth it.

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck with the move, Dorothy. It sounds like you've had a difficult couple of years, and hope everything goes well for you and your son in NC.

8. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the best with you move and hope to see you and your pictures again soon.

Hans

9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best wishes on your move. It's a lovely area, though the local accent takes some getting used to, even for another Sotuherner.

10. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck with the move Dorothy and I wish your entire family nothing but the best.

Regards,
    Bill

11. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    All the best to you and yours in your move! Our prayers are with you, and hey, you're a couple of states closer to Nevada now.

12. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Our prayers go with you!

Charlie..................................

13. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dorothy,

Good luck with your move and best of luck to your son also. I have a 23 year old son (only child) and I can imagine your feelings and stress levels. Once again - good luck and best wishes!! I've also been through the "sell everything", "move 600 miles" for family reasons and while it was eventfull at the time it worked out for the best. I sincerely hope it all works out for everyone.

cheers

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Nancy

Nancy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Take care Dorothy. I'll look forward to hearing from you here once you get settled in.

16. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dorothy I have made two moves with three cats cross country. Get a couple of disposable litterboxes. Also when you stop make sure that you have fresh cool water for them. When you stop for the night, let one person go in and get the motel room, while some one stays with the cats. Only when you have everything else in the room, take the cats, and at least an old robe or something they are use to smelling in as well. They won't like the changes, but familiar smells help. Hve their favorite food, in dry form with you. Canned tends to come out as soft as it goes in. You don't want an upset cat making the ehaust part even softer. If they like things lie treats (mine are hooked on Cosmic Catnip Cat Treats which are liberally laced with catnip) Have those ready for the evening as well. If you go out to eat at night, one person should stay with them so they don't panic. Lastly Good cat carriers are a must. Nothing worse than trying to hold a cat in your arms and transfer them from a vehicle to a room in strange surroundsings.

If you have high strung cats, you can go to the vet and get what is like kitty thorazin. I have one that wouldn't stop meowing the whole way unless we gave her a bit of the tranqualizer. The funniest thing was driving through Rawlins Wyoming in a rainstorm with that kitty in the wabk windo of the van watching the b ack windshield wiper go back and forth. She didn't move her head with it, no, she had to move her whole body from side to side as it swished back and forth. We had a long line of cars in both lanes backed up behind us watching and pointing at Button. Memories that I have no picture of.

17. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry to hear about your son, but the Research Triangle is a very livable part of the country, and Duke's med school is first rate. Moving is always a hassle, but it helps to be moving to a great place.

18. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck with the move and hoping for the best for your son.

gene

19. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck Dorthy, this will be just the first step in bringing peace back to your lives. N.C. does have bright sun lit skys. You'll learn the light and be very happy with your photography.
    Check back soon, we will all want to hear from you.

20. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best wishes for you and your family Dorothy

21. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My best wishes for you and your entire family. I hope things get better for you, in a hurry...

My wife is a nurse and she's itchin to move to NC because of Duke's reputation. Your son should be in very good hands.

Although your accent may give you away (Southerners can usually tell each other apart), if you start all of your statements with either, "I tell you what..." or Lemme tell you what..." you'll start to fit right in...

:wink:

22. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dorothy, you and I have known each other a long time. I've watched your journey and I've seen your kids grow up. I know how much your family has been through, and I am sending you all my best wishes for your new start in NC.

Maybe we'll actually manage to meet up after all these years -- I'm getting married next week in Charleston, SC, and we'll be there quite often as Bob's family is all still there. (LOL -- guess we both have Bobby's now.)

All the best on your journey,

CJ

23. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dorothy, I am so hoping this move will be a blessing for your entire family. As hard as it is to make a big change sometimes it's just what is needed. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you and your family travel across the country to a new life. Hope to hear from you soon.

24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    best wishes with your new adventure.
    our thoughts are with you.

-john

25. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good luck with the move. I just moved my wife and two little kids across the country and kinda know what you're going through. It sounds like you've got a great family and that makes all the difference when facing what life throws at you.

Alan.

26. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    May the future hold nothing nothing but the **BEST** for you, Dorothy.

And Cheryl ..!!! Congratulations!!