Making the Pirelli Calendar

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by lesm, Dec 23, 2011.

1. lesm

lesm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was an interesting documentary on TV last night about the making of the Pirelli calendar. You can watch it here: http://www.sbs.com.au/television. It looked at the stylistic changes over the years, the photographers, the models. Although it didn't discuss the equipment I noticed that by far the majority of photographers were using Mamiya 67s (couldn't tell whether they were RB or RZ) and there wasn't a tripod in sight. They were throwing them around like point 'n' shoots. Of course, they had plenty of assistants but nevertheless their skill and ease with those big beasts was a joy to behold. It was also interesting that even into the 21st century many were still shooting film. There was a Pentax 67 in there too.

The other thing that impressed me was how hard the models had to work in often difficult and dangerous conditions. Some were cavorting with wild elephants in a mud wallow, some had snakes draped over them, dead birds dripping with blood, horrendous-looking insects crawling over them and throughout it all they had to try and look at ease. They earned their money!

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    unavailable to us Yanks.
    what a drag as I was looking forward to checking this :sad:

3. lesm

lesm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a shame, Bruce. However, I notice there are some You Tubes about the making of the calendar for specific years. You might try those.

Les

4. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheers for that Les. I must admit that the TV wasn't even on last night, so I missed it (Friday night on SBS is always good for some titillating, whoops, I mean entertaining viewing).

I'll check it out later!

Cheers

5. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Les.
    I indeed get lost into uTube frequently so I'll see where it takes me.