Making waves with a C330

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Té, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Mike Té

Mike Té Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today I was out shooting with my new-to-me Mamiya C330f. Id used it before, but this was the first time I was outside downtown with it.

Just composing on the sidewalk, I thought I was going to cause an accident... people were amazed at the old thing. I was surprised that they were surprised. At least no one asked, "How many megapixels?".

Cheers.

2. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

You should see the looks I get with my Zeiss 531/2 folding 6 x 9 camera. Someone did ask if it was a Leica. I said, "no ... better than a Leica."

Rick

3. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Waves

You should see the looks I get when using my linhof Tech III or B&J 5X7! " gee how old is that camera?" " Is that a camera?" "Are you a professional?" "Boy that thing must be pretty old?"

4. student

student Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmmm...someone actually asked me, while I was setting up a shot of the apparently defunct Detroit Boat Club, if my 8x10 B and J Orbit (a.k.a. the Black Beast) was digital.

5. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lost count of the times when shooting with my C330f, someone with an obvious knowledge of cameras (or maybe not, who knows?) says 'Now that's what I call a camera!' Enjoy using it fellah!

6. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favorite reaction was the day someone asked if my Argus C-3 was a Leica.

7. jss

jss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    im always amused by reactions like these. i take it as an opportunity to educate. camera awareness! :smile: someone once asked me if my 4x5 was a hasselblad.. so kudos for even knowing that name. out with my 8x10, i was asked if i was shooting a movie.

8. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took advantage of the opportunity to do a little show-and-tell when I was out with the 5x7 at Antietam battlefield over the weekend. The comment I got that I liked the best was from the young woman - after she looked under the darkcloth, she said, "Wow! it's so clear! It's better than Hi-Def TV!"

9. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

Years ago, I was doing a night shot with my stylish Calumet CC-400 when someone in a group across the street said, "Hey, guys. We're on TV!"

Konical

10. Mike Té

Mike Té Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hilarious! You guys are making my evening.

11. wclavey

wclavey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last year, on the way home from a trip, I got tagged at the airport for a full inspection of my baggage, carry-ons, clothing, dental work, etc. I had a travel case with the c3, c220, 5 lenses, 2 prism finders, etc., etc. and I guess it had been a slow day for the TSA agent. He wanted to know what it was, why it wasn't a 35mm camera, why it was so big, why this instead of a 35mm camera and on and on. I was very patient and explained it all to him as best I could, without touching the things on the table, sir! I had no idea that I'd be giving a photo equipment lesson that day when I left home. But at least he didn't ask me if it was digital... Actually, many people think it is a movie camera when they see it, especially if I am using the porrofinder and a tripod.

12. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i've had the 'shooting a movie?' question about my RB as well

13. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife always seems to attract a crowd with her C330 too. People seem to love it and, perhaps more usefully, they seem not to feel threatened by it in the way they can be by other cameras, so they don't mind it pointing at them. I can't be doing with the thing myself. I just don't seem to get on with TLRs, although I am the first to admit that it gets good results.

David.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    People duck when I take my RB67 on the streets of NYC thinking it's some kind of ray gun.

16. mediumformatphoto

mediumformatphoto Member

Tread lightly in Washington DC, home of the the ubiquitous concrete barriers and much hysteria over security: shooting on the Mall with a C330S and the 180 Super will draw attention of Capitol security if you get too close to the Capitol. The 180 Super fat lenses draw attention immediately.

I just ignore and keep shooting, and my experience has been that people certainly do like these cameras and often ask to be photographed.

17. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get plenty of attention when I'm on the street with my Rolleiflex TLR. Especially young-middle age women :smile:

18. JJC

JJC Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wait until you put it on a tripod! I was once asked if I was a "land surveyor".
    (I was very tempted to say "yes... and this building has to move a few feet".).
    The same day I was also accosted in a friendly way by a man who stopped
    his car in the middle of the road to talk to me - almost causing a traffic problem.

It's a great camera and they will be amazed by your pictures too. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  19. sbelyaev

sbelyaev Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    About two months ago I was shooting with Rolei FW 4.0 in santa fe. I could see confusion/curiosity in people's eyes. One of the guys even asked me what kind of camera that was. I answered. He replied that he is a photographer and used to use similar cameras, but now only digital ones.
    Similar case has happened in La Guardia airport when I was transporting some Myryad (audio) equipment. TSA agent wanted me to show him the content of the boxes. After he had seen the equipment he remarked" "nice amplifier, go ahead...."
    I guess people still can appreciate good things....

20. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Capitol Police get anal-retentive about tripods, not about photography per se. I was out with my 5x7, shooting the old brick spring house on the capitol grounds, and got approached by a Capitol policeman, and asked if I had a tripod permit. I didn't, but he let me finish taking my last shot, and told me to get one next time - never bothering to tell me where or when I needed to go get one...

I think you go to the new Capitol visitors center.

21. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tell me more about these "young-middle age women" ?!

22. JJC

JJC Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow. That *is* anal. I thought you only needed permits for handguns,
    rifles, and shotguns. Now tripods.....? :rolleyes:
    Is it all tripods or just assault tripods?
    (Sorry about the sarcasm.)

23. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While shooting fall color on a mountain lake with my Bronica SQb, on a tripod, I managed to flush out two old fishermen. I clearly disturbed them and they decided to move elsewhere. As they passed by I heard one of them say "Damn TV guys."

Bob

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mamiya C TLRs I've had mine more years than I care to remember and they are still better cameras than I am a photographer.

25. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't quite get the impetus behind it - I think it was another knee-jerk post- 9/11 reaction, but I could be wrong and it could have been a pre-existing regulation, to prevent uncompensated commercial photography of the capitol. They don't want folks blocking the sidewalks and pathways across the Capitol grounds. You'd think that they'd realize by now that any terrorists scoping out the site for an "action" would have a: already gotten all the intel photos they needed, and b: would never be so dumb as to use a camera that would attract as much attention as a medium or large format camera.

26. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They've had a tripod permit rule on the Mall at least since 1991. Not sure how long before that. I've always been told it's just the tripping hazard issue, but they use it for any excuse now. I've been hassled at midnight on an empty (and I mean empty) Mall more than once. I pointed out that tripping an innocent bystander was unlikely, but it just got me a stern stare.