Mamiya 200mm f/2.8 APO for 645 - feedback?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by David R Munson, Aug 5, 2009.

1. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The other piece of gear I'm considering dropping some coin on at the moment, I've been eyeing the Mamiya 200mm f/2.8 APO for my 645. My applications will primarily be portraiture and cycling photography. The most relevant question at the moment seems to be, what is performance like wide open? I asked this question ages ago on photo.net, but figure I might as well ask it again here as hopefully more users have surfaced in the ensuing years.

Anyone here have it/use it? Any example photos?

Thanks.

2. robsoe

robsoe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tested a sample a couple years ago against my older mamiya 645 105-210mm zoom. At the same aperture (max. 4.5 with the zoom), their sharpness were about the same (under 31x dissection microscope), but the 200mm apo had more contrast. It does not work well with mamiya 2x converter, it produced color fringes that were visible even at lower mag (i think 5-10x?). I guess the apo disappeared with 2x converter. I decided to return it, because I wanted to use it with the 2x.

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent excellent lens. I've posted a few results from it in the gallery recently. My favourite tele for 645, hands down. Good enough, in fact, that I sometimes use it in 35mm format via an adapter.

It is especially useful for IR, there is almost no refocus.

Wide open, it is superb, and that is how I most often use it.

4. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellent. Thanks for the info. I can't see using it with the 2x, as if it comes down to it and I really need something longer for the 645 I'll hunt down the 300/2.8. I think the 200mm is just about perfect for what I need it for, though. When it's in the budget, I'm picking one up.

5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, the 300/4.5 AF apo is excellent too, just a bit too slow for some purposes. I just sold mine to fund the 300/2.8 manual.

6. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When you get the 300/2.8 let us know what you think. It's soooooooooo sexy!

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I love the 210 f/4, and it is a ton cheaper. I fantasize about one day having the 200mm 2.8, but for now the 210mm f/4 gets the job done, and it was under $100.

8. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 210 too, it's one of my favorite lenses (angle of view), seems to be sharp enough when you have it on a tripod or a fast enough shutter speed.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used my 210 f/4 for the first time for the shot I entered in the Ilford/APUG contest, and I was really happy with the result.

I particularly like the fact that it takes the same filters as most of the rest of my Mamiya 645 lenses, and will also fit the Mamiya focus assist lever that I really like to use with my cameras.

Matt

10. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Works well with extension tubes too.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good point about the filters.

12. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the 210/4 would fit my needs, I would get it in a heartbeat. I have learned from experience, however, that I need f/2.8 for a lot of my work. Between shallower DOF and higher shutter speeds in low light (ever shoot cycling photography at dusk with a medium format camera?), the f/2.8 is what I need.

13. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, can it be worse than the 210? It is supposed to be better glass with APO correction and the 2.8 opening. Other than the price it should be a much better lens and as you said the only thing that will do the job for you.

14. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, it's pretty much just a matter of time (read: money) until I pick up the 200/2.8.

...and an AE prism, a gyro stabilizer, new strobes, new PocketWizards...

(it never ends :D)