Mamiya 6 frameline accuracy...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by PKM-25, Jul 26, 2014.

1. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, I have been using my Mamyia 6 with just the 75mm for about a week now and from what I understand, the frame lines are 100% accurate at closest focus and 83% at infinity.

Do these same variances apply to the 50 and 150? I just took delivery of the other two lenses and have not had a chance to use them yet, would love a heads up on this before I take them out for a spin...

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The film shows quite a bit more than the framelines do at normal and long distances. Mine seems to give a little more image at the bottom of the frame, compared with the extra you get on the top and sides. Its a rangefinder, and none of them have truly accurate framelines. My Leicas seemed similar.

3. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Chris, I am about to go play with it a bit and see what I get. For the record, my M3 with a 50mm is pretty darn a accurate in terms of representing the actual image area with the frame lines.

I am only really concerned with these variances at landscape distances, I would hate to keep cropping off some 10-15% of precious neg space consistently.

As aside, the differences in size between the Mamiya lenses and Hassy CF lenses is huge, that 50mm is nice and small!

4. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shot with a pair of Leica M6 bodies, and they have smaller framelines than the older M bodies. I usually do crop a bit on all four sides of my Mamiya 6 images. It doesn't bother me because I often do perspective corrections in Photoshop, and that forces some cropping. The extra neg space allows me to do the corrections without losing the image area I originally wanted.

5. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, yeah...I only wet print. If perspective is critical, I just use my Hasselblads and of course, 4x5...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014