Mamiya 6: help me!!

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Giorgio_23, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hello, I recently got a mamiya 6 with 50 and 75mm lens.
    The camera is beautiful and seems to work fine. But sometimes it has a problem. I see the led red in the viewfinder and the shutter doesn't fire. I check if the lens is extended, the light shield curtain open etc. etc. and they are ok. But there is the red light and the shutter doesn't work. It is for me incomprehensible because i have this problem sometimes without a reason. I don't use the camera for 1 hour, then I try again and the camera works fine. I don't understand what is the problem, I also cleaned electronic contatcs and I changed batteries.

Please help me, this is a fastidious problem beacuse while i work the camera suddenly doesn't work.

Giorgio

2. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Had you wound/cranked the film when you saw the red light?

3. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I'm sorry but my english is very bad. What does wound/cranked mean?

4. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't worry, my english is not great either.

Had you advanced the film to the next frame?

5. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you see the red light in the viewfinder, the shutter will not fire. There are several reasons why this might be:
    1. The film is not advanced (in other words you already exposed that frame)
    2. The lens-change curtain is closed
    3. The lens mount is not properly extended

You said though that if you leave the camera for some time, then the shutter might then fire. Maybe there is a faulty contact somewhere in the camera making the electronics think that one of the interlocks is set. You could try looking through the viewfinder and seeing if pressure on the lens mount, winder or lens-change curtain knob makes the light flicker - that would identify where the problem lies. Good luck!

6. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    thanks! yes i check always that the film si advanced, light shield curtain closed and lens mount extended.... but nothing!!! I tried looking through viewfinder, and I think the faulty contact is in extended/collapsible lens mechanism... Do you think this problem can be fixed?
    thank you all

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  7. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps there is some dirt on the electrical contacts on the lens or camera body. You could try to use a pencil eraser to very gently clean them. I have used this method on gold-plated electrical contacts many times (I'm an electical engineer). Be careful not to get any dust inside the camera or lens.

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, clean the electrical contacts between the lens and camera. Also check for any corrosion in the battery compartment.

Try to be patient, it is a wonderful system and you'll love it when the issue is resolved.

Does it always work properly right after you install new batteries?

9. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    yes I cleaned the electrical contacts and I check battery compartment and it is ok. I think the problem is the button of collapsible mechanism under the lens... I love this camera and I have to work with mamiya 6 for a project... but this problem is really fastidious... i hope a photorepairer can be fixed this problem... If some of you had this problem, please contact me, I would like to know how I can fixed mamiya.

thanks!

10. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, as a short term solution, once you get it to work, why not leave the lens extended and leave the curtain open.

One of my 6es has the issue that the power switch doesn't work- it is always on. I got that camera for next to nothing because whoever had it thought that issue made the thing useless! But I am very happy to have it as a backup beater, it works perfectly and it turns out that the battery consumption is very small when the camera is left on. I thought I'd have to take out the batteries to preserve them but that proved unnecessary.

Of course, you may eventually want a permanent solution and a CLA sounds like the best course of action, or at the very least I'd find another 6 user nearby who might find the issue. But if you're in the middle of a project right now then do what you need to do....

11. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I had this problem happen to me on vacation a few weeks ago. The camera would not fire, I checked all the appropriate things as you said. It was only with the 75 lens. So I assumed the shutter had gone out on it. When I was ready to give up and have the lens serviced I cleaned the contacts with an eraser and it worked.

I see you've already tried this. May I also suggest making sure that when you attach a new lens you hear a definitive "click." If you do not hear this click the contacts are not properly connected. Also with the lens mount button, same thing, make sure you hear a "click" when you pull the lens mount out so that it is properly snapped into place.

12. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Unfortunately I hear click always.. I have this problem always when camera is "ON": sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work...
    I use 50mm but also with 75mm I have this problem... I think is a problem of camera contacts rather lens contacts.
    However can you describe me what are the electronic contacts that I have to try to clean with an eraser?
    thanks

13. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    On the back of the lens there are a few brass colored circles. Rub them lightly with a clean eraser. Same with the camera body, there are a few brass colored ribbed prongs.

14. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Nothing... I tried to clean with an eraser, but nothing. The problem is that now i see always the red led and shutter no longer works :sad:
    Now Mamiya is unusable.
    However thank you all, i hope a photorepairer will be able to help me when i come back from holidays.

15. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I wish you luck with your Mamiya 6. Please report back and let us know exactly what the problem was.

16. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I examined well my camera, and I think that is not an electronic problem. I think is a problem of loading and advancing film mechanism.
    Firstly my camera works fine and the shutter always fires without a film loaded. The problem maybe is when a film is loaded. I read on Mamiya 6 manual that :If the film is not properly aligned with the ā€œVā€ indicator, the film may be improperly loaded." Maybe I didn't well aligned film and I improperly loaded it... I don't know why sometimes it worked and sometimens no.
    Moreover the manuale says that the red led indicator illuminates when the film is not loaded... but when my camera is empty shutter works fine and i don't see any red light.

This is not a problem... this is a mystery!

17. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe you can hook up with someone who already uses the Mamiya 6 and see how they load it.

18. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Loading is easy. You advance the film until the arrow on the backing paper lines up with the line above the opening in the back. Then you close the back (even if you're in mid-advance) and continue winding until you cannot wind anymore, then look at the window to make sure you're on frame #1.

19. photo4fun

photo4fun Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had similar problem. Once in a while, the camera just won't fire. I had to press the emergency release button ( below the cable release socket ). About 1/2 yr ago, it just stops working. I bough mine to the repair shop and it turns out the internal circuitry is rusted. It costs a big chunk of $ to fix it since there is no parts. Mamiya 6 is not well-weather sealed so be careful when you take it to the beach.

Hope it's nothing serious with your camera.
    David

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2010
  20. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ok I well loaded the film and for now (3 rolls) it worked fine. However sometimes I saw the right led, but pressing the back it disappeared and the shutter worked fine, or sometimes the red led after a while disappeared itself. I think the problem is that the back doesn't press well the film and sometimes mamiya "thinks" the film is not loaded.
    However for now it worked well and the problem is surely in the back with a film loaded... Anyway I will give my camera to photorepaires for a general check. The mistery continues... :smile:

21. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm maybe check the seals, be sure nothing is coming off and interfering with the closure. Also look inside and check the bellows for proper folding. Note also that you can fire the lens with the back open, that can be a useful way to spot various issues including RF alignment and shutter misfires and problems with the foldout mechanism etc.

22. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Check to see if you have the 120/220 switch on for the correct film you're using.

23. Giorgio_23

Giorgio_23 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My mamiya fires also with black closed wihout film!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why?? I found a "special" mamiya :smile: However thank you all! I'll update you with photorepairer news...

24. adifrank

adifrank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Giorgio_23, I just found this discussion that you started a little more than a year ago. I have the exact same problem with my Mamiya 6 that your were having!

Well... not exactly the same... but very very similar. The shutter release button will not fire when the back of the camera is closed and with film. When there is no film - it WILL fire with the back open and it WON'T fire with the back closed - which is normal. But when I load film and close the back - the button doesn't do anything when I press it, and I can keep winding the film advance lever without it stopping. It's like the camera doesn't realize that there is film loaded.

I'm very curious to know if you managed to fix your problem and if you know what the problem was. Please let me know... I'm stuck in the middle of a photography residency in New York and without my favorite camera... I'm feeling lost.

I look forward to your reply. Thanks!

25. stigmg

stigmg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently bought a used Mamiya 6. And I also have the same problem as you adifrank. Just more complicated. Sometimes, but rarely, the camera accepts the film. Other times, more often, I'm allowd to expose the first frame, but then the red indicator shows and I cant shoot anymore. And most of the time the camera does not register the film at all. I've wasted a total of 5-10 films on this problem now. So I've sent the camera for repair at a certified Mamiya service center. If any interest, I will update with a description of the problem and the solving.