Mamiya 6 quest!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rhodes, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After some years using a TLR, after seen a documentary about a portuguese photographer that used a mamiya 6(or 7) and wanting to experimenting something more in MF, plus a GAS situation, I decided to get a mamiya 6 as my MF camera, possible becoming the only one in that format. Sell some gear to get cash, saved part of the income, etc.
    But were to get one with one or possible 2 lens, besides ebay? And on that good/evil site, the options are more or less like that: many offer from japan, at fair/good prices, but they have or some dust in the lens, or small haze, etc.
    The ones more near me, in the EU, are far more expensive, but normally are in better shape quality. The material aper with out the small patches of dust, hazes, bla bla bla.
    Should I go for the "better" offer from japan or usa and after having the camera spend some money in a CLA if necessary and possibly the all price will reach the more expensive sales. Or spend more in the first place and have some good shape camera and lens?

2. shutterboy

shutterboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would go to keh.com and find something out there.

3. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, but not a option, because of shipping costs and they do not have a camera-lens combo!

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought from a couple of Japanese dealers through the bay and Thought
    they were pretty decent.

Sometimes when they say there's internal dust, it's no more than you might find in one of your own lenses.

At the moment the only name I remember is Ai-di-la(SP?) got a couple of LF lenses from him

5. shutterboy

shutterboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked up on USPS and it is not that costly to ship to Portugal. Just 23$ for a large box. If I may offer, you can ship it to me and I can ship it to you provided you pay for the label.

6. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :redface:opppssss! I think I may once simulated a buy on Keh and the shipping cost were expensive(normally they are between US and Portugal, more if the height is hight or the shipping is ensured) so I decided not to have that shop as option. The trouble is still not offering a combo. And buying a body+lens separately may be expensive for me.
    I thank you for your kind offer.

Well, from Japan there is some good offers, going to wait and see what comes up during this days.

7. sir_mamiya

sir_mamiya Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got a used Mamiya 6 body in excellent condition from B&H Photo last year for $600. They don't have any in stock right now but it's worth checking into.

8. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought an "outfit" and separate bodies/lenses from KEH before. I don't really think it matters either way price wise. You could also end up SAVING some money since you could pick up a lower grade lens for cheaper than an EX++ lens that may be part of a complete outfit. The real trick to KEH is that their BGN and UG lenses are actually really good. I recently got a 180mm UGLY lens for my RB67. It was dirt cheap, and it honestly looks brand new.

9. pasiasty

pasiasty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I got mine, a set with all three lenses, in quite good condition from eBay, yet it needed some film advance repair (€150). It came from Italy if I remember correctly, so shipping was not that expensive and there was no risk in paying VAT. However, I had been waiting for about 4 months until a good offer emerged.

BTW: a great camera for ppl with acute GAS - not so many matching accessories! (I already have all...)

10. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, almost had to get in a support group for this! :D Well, I manage to buy one with the 75mm plus a 150mm lenses form the same seller. even with the shipping costs, I got it below the limit € I had to spend.
    From Europe, I let it go away (but didn't have the money for it at the time) a body + the 3 lenses and the 35mm adaptor, from Germany. It went by 1300€. Let's see if everything turns out fine.

11. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mamiya 6 quest turning to mamiya 6 blues!

The camera was sent last 14th from Japan. It arrive at Portugal at 16th. It is stop in customs since the 17th!!! Arrrggghhhhh for this customs. I had hope that the package wouldn't be stop, but it was. I got a letter asking for 2 documents to clear it, my ID and a other for IRS. I call the support line and told them that it was a personal bought, I can not deduct it and it is for my personal use. But I do not know how much I will pay for the clearance. If they apply the VAT to the buying price, I will end paying 250 euros or more. :blink::mad:
    Also, customs may attribute a specific valour to item, and I will need to pay that. :bandit:

12. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got my Mamiya 6 w/ 75mm lens last night, it's certainly bigger and heavier than I thought it would be but wow does it handle nice. I have a Leica M3 and also an Xpan and it might be the best RF experience I have had yet, big bright VF with a very nice and bright RF patch. The ergonomics are really great, handholding at lower speeds is pretty easy compared to my Hasselblads and it is super quiet.

I ran a test roll of Delta 400 through it and everything looked great, the frame spacing, lens sharpness and RF accuracy. It's a nice addition to my arsenal.

13. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After the paying of the taxes (arrggghhhhh, bastards) I pick up mine last week. I share your opinion, but never held an Xpan or a M3. In the firsts moments with the mamiya, I had a small adventure. I could not close the curtain, and was despairing thinking that the camera had some problem. Went to see the manual and after a few minutes in that section, I manage to spot the small letters saying "to close the curtain, do not forget to advance the film lever". Ahhhhhh, lovely!
    What I notice the most, or didn't notice is, as you said, the quietness of the shutter. The first times I pressed the buton, I thought, did she fired?

14. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In general, keep an eye on ffordes.co.uk and apertureuk.com for equipment. I buy most of my stuff from them and they will be happy to talk to you and arrange returns/exchange if you have to plus they'll give you a warranty for 6 months. You won't have to pay taxes either.

15. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't offer any valuable advise;just wanted to congratulate your decision.after using Hasselblad for years, I went for a Mamiya 6 as a travel camera in MF and was deeply impressed with the optical quality of their lenses.I got mine throuh a private sale in ermanyand it was in ex+ shape;never regretted itand never sell it either;it's a gem of a camera.:smile:good luck with your searchand photography.

16. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :pinch: :mad::mad::mad: Last night I had a birthday party of a high school friend. I took my mamiya 6 to get some photos, etc.
    During the dinner, I had the camera in the chair that I seated, full restaurant, people passing by, no problem. AFter the dinner, I already had took some photos and the camera was in the same place, a person when entered the place nocks the camera and pummmm, in the floor was it.
    :mad: arrgggghhhhhhhhh!
    Result, the parallax frames of the lens, are damage. I have the 75mm lens and the frames of the 150mm.
    I know that those things can happen, and the ultimate culprit are us (normally, but I tend not to deny it) for not having the camera on us, or placing it in a safe/steady place. But I tired of the bad luck I am having with this camera.
    Any way, if I can not find a good repair here in Portugal, can some one recommend an European repair service/person? with a good price/quality ratio.

17. pasiasty

pasiasty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  18. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm