Mamiya 6 RF questions

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Fintan, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've a 'new' Mamiya 6 [nonMF version] and 75mm lens and after a very short while I am just so happy with this camera.

I've been reading about changing lenses and knocking off the focusing. And because I'll shortly add a 50mm lens to the kit, I'm a bit worried about this statement.

Can any of you folks that have a 6 tell me if this issue is something to worry about?

Thanks

Fintan

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never heard of this issue nor experienced it. The thing to remember, of course, is that there is a curtain which must be closed in order to switch lenses. I suppoose if one forgot that and torqued the lens like a great ape.... hypothetically, then, damage could result!

You'll love the 50.

My advice is, if you see another 6 or 6MF body then pick it up, you might need a winder or something in a few years.

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    What keithwms said!
    I have the 6 with the lenses you mention and even though I use the 50 the most, I do change frequently. Never have I experienced this problem, nor have I heard of it.

4. Peter Williams

Peter Williams Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also have the 6 - it is a great camera. I have never had a focusing problem with it.

5. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Don't know who wrote that changing lenses knocks off rangefinder focus. I've never had that problem with my Mamiya 7 system. The 6 system is great too. I can't imagine this happening to you.

6. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may find that the rangefinder is fine with the 75mm/50mm, but a little out with the 150mm and need a little adjustment. My M 6 seems fine with all three lenses. There is a cam in the body that is used to change the finder frame line when the lens is changed, but that does not impact on the focus. It would be hard to damage that without doing other damage to the lens mount at the same time.

7. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had 3 6 bodies with all 3 lenses. No focusing issues here.

8. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't find the post where I read about this problem. But its mentioned in the manual also [page 10]

Thanks for all the replies, I hope to pick up a 50mm shortly.

Fintan