Mamiya 645 80/2.8 vs 80/1.9?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by olwick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. olwick

olwick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any thoughts on these two lenses (N versions)? Aside from the DOF differences, of course. How is the image quality at like apertures?

Thanks,

Mark

2. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    As an owner of the 1.9 (non-N), I have to say that when wide open it is hard to focus because the DOF is +/- 1 inch! However, when I nail a photograph wide open, it sure is a joy. Is the extra stop worth the extra $, only you can decide that. I bet, both lenses at 2.8, of the same scene, wd be hard to distinguish

1.9 (non-N):
    [​IMG]

3. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Like a fine musical instrument the f/1.9 can be hard to master, but when you do it sings.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With respect to issues of handling and practicality:
    1) The 2.8 lens uses the fairly standard 58mm filters, while the 1.9 version uses larger 67mm filters;
    2) The 1.9 lens is larger and almost twice as heavy; and
    3) The Mamiya 645 focus assist lever fits on the 2.8 lens but won't fit on the 1.9 lens.

5. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I owned 80/1.9C for few years, it was a great lens wide open and it got better even closed down, I can only suspect N version would do better.
    The only 2 reasons why I ditched all of my M645 gear were that I hated 6x4.5 framing and I got a nice offer to swap whole kit for even nicer SQ-A kit.