Mamiya 645 lens sharpness/optimal apertures?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by atomicthumbs, Nov 11, 2011.

1. atomicthumbs

atomicthumbs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 35mm 3.5, an 80mm 2.8, and a 150mm 2.8 A(pochromatic), all C versions.

They're all wonderful pieces of glass, especially the 150mm. What apertures should I be using them at for best sharpness?

2. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    f/77

3. atomicthumbs

atomicthumbs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I filled my lens with toilet paper and poked a needle through it, and now it works great! Thanks!

4. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For a lot of lenses, f8-f11 seems to be the sweet spot.

5. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    :tongue::whistling:

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am assuming that the OP is looking for something like those resolution tests one sees for 35mm lenses (in the past) and DSLR lenses currently - e.g. lpmm numbers for centre and corners at various apertures (and focal lengths for zooms).

I've never seen any comprehensive test for the Mamiya 645 system. They may be out there though. The one I remember seeing was for a particular lens, and it was in the context of comparing the lens when used on an adapter for a smaller frame digital camera, with lenses designed specifically for that camera.

In my experience, unless the photography is limited to flat subjects, the determination of what is needed in the way of depth of field is way more important than the relative differences in resolving power that various apertures may give.

7. al5256

al5256 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. lesm

lesm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the 150mm. It's a beautiful lens, very flexible and forgiving and, to be honest, it doesn't bother me to shoot it wide open. DOF is short, of course, so a tripod and not being in a hurry is best. If you want to hand hold it, sure, stop it down a couple of notches. With the 45mm (and certainly with your 30mm) it's as sharp as you'd want it at any stop. Increasingly I find myself being less concerned with sharpness and more with subject matter and composition.