Mamiya 645 normal macrolens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ksa66, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ksa66

ksa66 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Im thinking about to replace my normal-lens 80mm f2.8 whith an 80mm f4 macro. Is that macrolens equally good and as sharp at infinity? I shoot landscapes mostly but like to take closeups sometimes.
    Want to travel lite but also have Mamiya 45mm and zoom105-210mm lenses to carry. So another lens like 120mm f4 macro is out of the question i think. I shoot slides, mostly velvia for slideshows.

In 35mm one of my favorite lenses are micro-nikkor 55mm f2.8. Extremly sharp lens at all distances, but more prone to flare and more vignetting at same aperture than nikkor 50mm f1.8.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 80mm f/4 macro "N" is my most recent acquisition, and I like it a lot.

I've shot it at a variety of distances, and find it performs very well.

The downsides of the lens are minor, but worth considering:

1) it is bigger and heavier than the 80mm f/2.8 version, and takes bigger (67mm) filters and lens caps;
    2) as a macro lens, it has a very long focus "throw" - it may, therefore, be less suitable for quick action or weddings; and
    3) it is a bit more expensive.

I deal with all the above by having a 110mm f/2.8 as an alternate.

The images below were shot on Ektachrome E100G and then scanned (medium resolution) by a lab. I then re-sized all the files up to a size suitable for 12" x 16" RA4 prints. For APUG, I re-sized the attachments to fit within the site's restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't used the 80/4, so no comments re it. But, if you can get a macro adapter for the M645 then maybe that would be a better option, cheaper, lighter and you get to keep using the 80/2.8 which is excellent.

4. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By "macro adapter" do you mean the auto ext. rings?
    There is also a macro spacer that is designed to be used with the 80/4 macro lens and giving it 1:1 magnification but I've never tried to attach it to a different lens. Not even sure if you can...

5. ksa66

ksa66 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Matt! Il go for that lens. Used Mamiya 645 manual-focus lenses are very low price these days. Extension rings is a mess to work whith. And never as sharp as an real macrolens whith floating elements.