Mamiya 645 won't fire

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jimor, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Jimor

Jimor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently assembled a Mamiya 645 Super by buying a body, a film back and an AE Prism finder, all separately, on Ebay. I have now assembled it in accordance with the manual, but cannot get the shutter to fire, even in the 1/60th manual mode. The Multi button is not activated, or the Shutter Lock button. Is it because I haven’t got a winder on the body? There is a winder on the film back, so I assumed this would have the same effect, but I suspect now that it doesn’t. Also, is there a separate manual for the AE Prism finder?

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Okay, I don't have that camera, but here's some tips:

Some cameras won't fire if the dark slide is in.

Does it wind? Some cameras need to use Multi to wind with no film in.

Jon

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I am speaking from memory, since I do NOT have that camera anymore.

As far as I can recall, to dry fire that camera, you MUST have dark slide removed, AND the multiple exposure lever ENABLED. There is not a winder in the film back. The winder (if you have it) is a separate attachment. You'd remove your hand crank and attach it to the side of the body. Make sure battery is fresh.

4. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The darkslide usually has a little v-notch cut in to it near the handle.
    You can just pull the darkslide out enough to expose this notch to dry fire.
    As others pointed out it has ti be in multi-exposure mode if there is no film in the camera.

5. Jimor

Jimor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for comments, but...

Thanks for comments, but...

I have a film loaded and have advanced it using the winding knob on the film body. There is no winding knob on the main body. The battery is fresh and even if I turn the shutter speed to 1/60th (which should work regardless of battery condition) the shutter doesn't fire. I suspect that the knob/crank on the main body, as well as winding on the film, 'primes' the shutter and that simply winding on the film from the film body does not achieve this. Does that make sense?

Jim

6. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The shutter should fire without the film back installed.

7. Jimor

Jimor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, tried that and it doesn't work. An eBay seller has offered to sell me a crank on an 'if it doesn't solve the problem, send it back' basis, so I think I'll probably try that.

Jim

8. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I did not read your post closely enough. The body winder cocks the shutter and advances the film. I've never tried just turning the advance on the film back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  9. Nathan King

Nathan King Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This. You need to use the winder on the body and not the knob on the film back.

10. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes, you need to cock the shutter by winding the body crank. You could probably wind the metal plate with your fingers for testing.

Jon

11. Jimor

Jimor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Winder crank

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I've just got a crank on EBay. Will let you know if it works.

Jim

12. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, the body winder cocks the shutter, lowers the mirror, and winds the film.

13. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess as an engineer, I have to point this out to you. They don't put extra parts on a camera. It costs them money. So if there is a spot for a winding knob, you need to have it.

And that's the nicest way of saying it.

I am glad you got this all worked out. The 645 is a great camera.

tim in san jose

14. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP has been putting together his kit piece by piece - he may have bought the body with the intention of acquiring and using the power winder instead of the manual crank.

Many of the original Mamiya 645 Pro cameras were definitely sold with a power winder and without the manual crank. It may be the same for the Mamiya 645 Super.

15. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yaaaa... I know that. But to think the wind on the film back would cock the camera's shutter indicates a lack of understanding of the mechanics of the tool. Not his fault. Most people these days grow up with no knowledge of the technologies they use.

Just a fact of life. Live and hopefully learn.

tim

16. Jimor

Jimor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Solved!

Yes, it just required a winder on the main body, as some of you confirmed. I did assemble it in bits and, in my defence, I would say that this is very different to the 35mm cameras that I am used to. Without having examined one before, it was not immediately obvious to me that the winder on the film back would not cock the shutter. :whistling:

Thanks for all those who contributed; at least my problem has enlightened more than just me! :smile:

17. Nathan King

Nathan King Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Mamiya 645 is very modular, which is neat for customization purposes; however, my experience parting them together was similar to yours because of the options and not knowing exactly what comes with what.

18. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's one reason my first two MF kits were full operational kits because I was very new to the MF world. Now knowing how module everything is, I can easily figure out what is the required parts to work. :smile:

19. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

My words always come out harsher than they are meant. My apologies to you.

tim in san jose