Mamiya 645AFD Focusing Screen with MF lenses

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by cramej, Feb 7, 2012.

1. cramej

cramej Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The 645 AFD manual says you have to use the special focusing screen when you are using manual focus lenses - do you have to use it or does it just make focusing easier? I don't really want to spend $200+ on the screen just to be able to use MF lenses.

And, if you don't absolutely have to use it, can anyone expand on their experience using the regular screen with MF lenses?

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, you don't need it.
    I actually find manual focussing with the stock screen on that camera pretty easy.

3. cramej

cramej Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good, good, good! The AF 150 is too expensive for me right now but the MF 150 can be had for less than $100.

4. krb

krb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The AFd is just like most other AF cameras. You don't -need- to use a higher precision focusing screen but it helps.

I have a 'normal' screen with gridlines in my AFd and I use it all the time with manual focus lenses all the time, including the 80/1.9, 150/2.8 and 200/2.8.

5. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was toying around with an 80mm f/1.9 today and i found MF'ing with the standard screen difficult. Your mileage may vary.

6. Marco.Guasta

Marco.Guasta Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HI!
    I'm using the 80 1.9 on a Mamiya AFD i would like to buy a better focusing screen than the original one but i can't find one.
    Can you tell me where can i find one or wich kind o focusing screen are compatible?

7. Marco.Guasta

Marco.Guasta Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format