Mamiya 646 Pro TL worthwhile upgrade

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by zk-cessnaguy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I currently have a 645 Super, I have the opportunity to purchase a mint 645 Pro TL. What I am wondering is, is it a big enough upgrade to justify the expenditure?

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be newer. Repair parts may be more easily found.

It will offer TTl flash operation with certain flashes.

For those accessories which are not compatible with both the Super and Pro bodies, it will work with the newer Pro compatible accessories - primarily metering viewfinders.

Possibly most importantly, it will include the mechanical upgrades that were made because of some film wind reliability issues experienced with the older Super bodies. As I understand it, those reliability issues were most often experienced by those using a motor winder on the Super.

3. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unless you want/need TTL flash capability, no. No winder or any other issues with my Super. My only beef with Mamiya winders is the racket they produce--noisy suckers!

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably not... I went from 645Super to 645Pro. It's newer. It's more updated. I hear internals are made more robust. I didn't find any functional difference in my usage. (before my super went kaput)

5. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Initially I would have said no..............but then my Super took a dump on me (just as Matt said above, I was using a motor winder...)

So I bought a Pro TL and I'm happy with it. How much difference is the price for which you can buy the Pro TL and sell your Super?

6. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After selling the Super, I may be a couple hundred down on the Pro... I'm not totally convinced it's the way to go,, might wait a while for an AFD instead.

7. photophil

photophil Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    for comparing funtions and compatibility of accessoires you can have a look in my Mamiya data collection (see signature)

PHILIP

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say that it would be a worthwhile switch from an M645, for the exchangeable backs. But I wouldn't switch from a Super unless I was using a motor drive all the time. The Pro TL is a bit more robust in that regard.

I've never used in-camera flash metering in my life in a real shooting situation (as opposed to just testing), and I don't see it as an advantage. I don't like in-camera meters even with ambient light, but make flash the light source (especially on-camera flash) and results are even more likely to be less than ideal. (Is that the same thing as being less likely to be ideal? :D) YMMV, however.

9. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I think it's funny that every time this discussion comes up of "is the TL better than the rest" that no one brings up mirror lock up! I bought the pro TL over the pro and super because of the mirror lock up. With the prices being so low on all these cameras now it makes no sense not to go with the newest one.

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um.... My PRO has a Mirror UP knob. Is TL different in this regard?

11. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you're going to be a couple of hundred down....personally, I'd stick with what you have. If you have to replace it later on, go with the Pro TL.

12. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They all have mirror lock-up: Super/Pro/ ProTL.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd agree.

An upgrade where you add a Pro-Tl body and relegate the Super body to backup makes much more sense.

And as for functional differences, the Super has a single manual (battery independent) shutter speed but no self timer function. The Pro and Pro-Tl bodies have no battery independent shutter speeds, but do have a self timer function. All three do have mirror lock-up.

14. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll give one real world example, where TTL flash got the exposure right on target (when an ordinary photosensor Auto flash would have been fooled)...

Bride and groom seated inside the limo, in preparation to go from church to reception location. Sunny conditions, white limo, door to B&G wide open. Use of short tele FL to frame B&G with just a bit of the door opening visible to give the viewer a suggestion of the location of the shot. TTL flash exposure of the otherwise dark interior was perfectly exposed. (Auto flash with its wider degree photosensor coverage would have been fooled by the sunlight striking the white exterior of the limo.)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011