Mamiya 7 - 65mm lens - shutter almost silent! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Thingy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Thingy

Thingy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just tried out my "new", second hand Mamiya 7 camera and am astonished how quiet the shutter mounted in my 65mm lens is, having used leaf shutters on large format cameras. It was so quiet this morning that I assumed the camera wasn't working, but when I looked at the lens whilst firing it it worked.
    Are all the lenses for this camera as quiet? If so, it would make an excellent documentary camera. :smile:

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, they are all that quiet. In fact, the 150mm is so quiet that I sometimes have to check the lever just to be certain that it actually took a shot. The 43mm and 80mm aren't that far off either and the 210mm is little louder, but barely above Leica levels for sure. I haven't tried being sneaky with it, but I think it would be most excellent. Congrats on the new system!

3. mattone

mattone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now you're wiser AND have a Cameron portrait of yourself! Aren't Mamiya 7s not cool?!? Probably the softest shutter sound except for some pocket 35mm cameras.

4. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The M7 lens shutters are coveted for their near silence and vibration free shooting, just one of many definitive reasons why these MF tools are in a class by themselves.

5. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Totally normal, as others have said. Very quiet shutter, and you can hand hold it at 1/30th if you're still, and you won't get any shaky affects... of course, you might like them from time to time, too!!

6. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is true. One of my best shots was taken handheld at 1/60, which for me is quite slow (cant seem to hold the camera still). Blew my socks off when I first enlarged it.

7. Thingy

Thingy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your replies. It's certainly a shock after some of my supposedly "quiet" shutters! Had I realised I'd have bought one YEARS ago! :D