Mamiya 7 light curtain crank

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Maine-iac, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Maine-iac

Maine-iac Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I recently bought a used Mamiya 7 in immaculate condition except for the little key on the bottom that is used for closing the light curtain to permit changing lenses. It's flimsy plastic, and mine is broken. It's still usable, just, and I've no doubt I can get it replaced by a repairman.

I'm wondering though, if anyone knows a third-party supplier who makes those out of metal that would be more rugged than the one that comes with the camera. Surely I'm not the first person to have this problem.

Larry

2. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I had to order a crank for my M7 a while back. I just ordered from the company that represents Mamiya parts, out of NY. They were helpful about how to change it and I did it myself. Only thing I've ever broken on that camera.

4. Maine-iac

Maine-iac Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks, do you remember which company or division you contacted? I expect they get a lot of requests for the part. For how rugged the rest of the camera is, it's surprising they made that little crank so flimsy.

Larry

5. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you describe how to do this?
    Thanks

6. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I ordered it from these guys:

http://www.mamiya.com/customerservice.asp?id=3&id2=105

That little rubber thing on top had popped off, but it is just glued on. Take that off. Then, remove the screw, which is a left hand thread. Replace the crank and reassemble. I didn't use any loctite here. The rubber thing on top is glued on with a contact cement and there was enough of this to keep the screw in place.

7. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Surely I'm not the first person to have this problem."

You're certainly not. I've just broken mine for the second time in about three years and I have no doubt that it is just not very strong. Mamiyas UK service dept- run by their agent- was most discouraging about self repair and indicated their usual high fees for looking at it.

8. Paolo Saccheri

Paolo Saccheri Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hello,

I let you know that I make spare brass levers to replace the flimsy plastic crank for closing the light shield curtain.
    If you ever need one just let me know!
    all the best
    Paolo