Mamiya 7II, Does it whorthy at USD1200?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by anton_chang, Aug 16, 2010.

1. anton_chang

anton_chang Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Today, I just browse through internet, and found out that in Hong Kong, the price for Mamiya 7II is at USD1200.
    My mind play trick inside.
    I always wants a rangefinder, but Leica is out of budget. So when I saw this price, it seem like my dream finally come true.
    So, does any user have any complaint on this camera?
    Does any user got any portfolio that take with this camera?
    Any ways, thanks if I could get any reply on this subject.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just remember that price is for a body only, no lens.

3. anton_chang

anton_chang Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, the lens is : 80mm/f.4 at USD755,
    150mm/f4.5 at USD1100.

4. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For brand new you're not going to do any better... B&H sells the body only for I think around $2300.

I've been tempted myself to order one of those from the auction house - there's a seller I bought a bunch of new Mamiya gear from who is located in Japan last year. Took a few weeks to arrive in the U.S., but it was all as stated, and brand new, and much cheaper than can be bought here.

5. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are a great camera. The rangefinder design means that you don't have the mirror slap problem found in medium format SLR cameras and as a result will get great images when handheld.

6x7cm frame size means you can print big
    Lenses are good
    Camera is compact and cheaper than other options.

Build quality is not to the same level as Leica or even the big RB/RZ bodies and the rangefinder will probably need to be calibrated more often than with a Leica.

Go for it! :smile:

6. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A number of the pictures in my gallery here are made with a Mamiya 7. (Not the 7II, but the differences have nothing to do with the end result), and I love mine. Worth every penny I paid for it.

7. olwick

olwick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. anton_chang

anton_chang Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the links......I'll look at it.

9. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did a mistake and bought the camera body only from B&H for about $2400, i saw that camera with lens in DigitalRev for about $2400, so with the same price of new body only i can buy used with lens, but i was thinking to buy this camera as new fresh not used as it will be my first and best rangefinder MF camera, i now just look for a lens for it, was thinking to buy one used and one new lens, the budget is down now, so i will start with used lens first and later i can buy new lens.
    I bought this camera after many reviews that showing this camera is no slough, and can't wait to use it, flickr is full of shots from this camera anyway.

10. dasBlute

dasBlute Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently rented one to see how it would do for some spontaneous street work,
    and am pretty blown away by the camera. Some results.

Even a used rig could run $2000 from KEH, though the bargains are typically well worth it, and could bring the price down to merely $1200-$1500 :smile:

Two schools of thought:

"do you need that much camera?" -vs- "why not? life is short"

Could buy a Rollei and a frugal week in Italy for that much....
    listen to your gut.

11. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I spent awhile at the rental dept. at Keeble &Schuchat (sp?) in Palo Alto looking at their Mamiya II with 80mm lens. I really just cannot see how one can do quick focusing for street work. I've heard great things about the lenses for these, but what good is that going to be when you can never be sure if what's going on the film is what you really want (like with an slr) and if it's going to be focused correctly.

12. russelri

russelri Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think Mamiya 7ii is a wonderful camera if you can accept its limitations. You can get some great deals on the used market. As a street shooter it is not as fast as a Leica. Although, a Leica camera can be slow to operate in the wrong hands. I have missed shots with my Leica which I thought were in focus or the wrong part of the scene was in focus. I believe most of the time this comes down to camera technique. Pre-empting the situation before it unfolds in front you. Seeing the 6x7 negs developed for the first time was the deal clincher for me. It maybe worth renting the Mamiya 7ii or take a roll or two 120 film with you to the camera store. Get the film developed and decide from there. Good luck!!

13. dasBlute

dasBlute Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, for my limited experience in street photography, everything is pre-set.
    I focus by moving closer.

With the Rolleiflex, I meter my hand, to get facial tones, then prefocus to 10-15ft,
    and set the speed [at least 1/30th] and aperture [f/11 or higher]. With the 7ii/43mm,
    I set the focus to 10ft -> infinity, f/11 [using the DOF markings on the lens - easy with
    the 43mm], and let the camera set the shutter speed. Out of ten rolls I lost about 5-6
    shots to camera shake and bad focusing. I lost 0 shots to under/over exposure problems.
    I lost shots by being too far away to make an effective composition, and I lost shots
    to timing. I couldn't blame the camera. Note, about half the time, I didn't raise the
    the camera to my eye [with Rollei, it's even less].

Whatever works, do it. This camera is awesome, a joy to work with and produced
    great results. I, or others, could say the same about, 15 other cameras.
    It's no Magic Bullet, and neither is a 'blad, a leica, a rollei, a bessa, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010