Mamiya 7ii with Old flashes

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Sepehr, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sepehr

Sepehr Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hello all,

So I have done a ton of web research trying to find the solution... I have a Mamiya 7ii, I also have a Vivitar Auto 225 flash.

Across all the major photo forums I can't seem to come to a conclusion of wether or not the Mamiya 7ii can handle old high voltage flashes. I saw Ken Rockwell and others say you can use any flash under the sun, but I just want to be positive.

Ive read a few responses of Vivitar 283's being used, but I hear those are volatile at best and maybe those specific users have a low voltage copy.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with a Mamiya 7ii with a flash that is on this list that is classified as 'NO' for EOS compatibility?

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Thanks!

2. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It has one contact point just like any other old cameras that could handle high voltage flash unit. Modern TTL shoe has multiple contacts to facilitate camera-flash communication.

3. Sepehr

Sepehr Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the reply, are those the only cameras to be fried, ones with ttl?

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As the Mamiya 7II has an electronically controlled leaf shutter mechanism, I would be concerned that the flash synch circuit is electronic (i.e. vulnerable) rather than fully manual (i.e. resistant to high synch voltage flashes).

As I understand it, my Mamiya 645 Pro is susceptible to damage from high synch voltages, and it is relatively similar to the 7II

5. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AFAIK Mamiya 645 Pro has two extra contact points on its hot shoe, hence there might be some electronic parts working behind the shoe.
    However, if you are not sure it might be better to use flash trigger unit.

6. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For a few months I have been using it with Vivitar 215 which is a high voltage flash without an incident. However now since you mentioned it, I'm starting to reconsider. Maybe it is not such a good idea. I just ordered an adapter. Good luck!

7. Ghostman

Ghostman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also read quite a bit into this (as much as I could find that is). I have been using a metz mecablitz 60 which is pretty powerful with its external battery. I've not had any problems.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Noble

Noble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damage isn't necessarily instataneious according to what I've read. My understanding is in some cases you can use a flash with too much voltage for an extended period of time until one day... poof!

Mecablitz 60 CT-4s are rated safe for recent Canon DSLRs. I've used one on a Canon DSLR, ETRS, and Rollei Integral. The amount of light a flash puts out has nothing to do with the trigger voltage. Far less powerful flashes than the mighty Mecablitz 60 CT-4 have baked cameras.

Consult the chart in the OP. It is a great resource.

10. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you emailed Mamiya to ask them? There's plenty of low-voltage thyristor flashes out there, so no real need to use a suspect one.

11. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup. That's why I said I'm reconsidering now. I have EE background and unless someone has schematics for the trigger or a definitive statement from Mamiya, it is better be safe than sorry. Especially with such an expensive piece of equipment. On the other hand, here's what the manual said:

"When an electronic flash is connected to the hot-shoe, current moves through the X contact. So be sure to put the safety cover supplied with the camera on the X contact so that you will not receive an electric shock."

It's kinda hard to get an electric shock with just 6V on the contacts is it? So unless I'm misreading it, they must be assuming a higher voltage there.

Eugene.

12. Noble

Noble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I don't have a background in EE or anything even close so I will not be able to add to your knowledge of circuits. What I can say though is a low voltage shock can cause injury if there is enough current. And even if it doesn't cause anything more than mild transient discomfort it could still be a legal and marketing issue. Well heeled yuppies would definitely get down in the mouth about getting little shocks from their brand new very expensive toys. So how much current are we talking about? I have no idea. I would have to defer to you EE types.

13. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds like Mamiya recognizes some flashes have high voltage that can run from hot shoe to x-sync and doesn't give a warning except for human shock :munch:

14. Sepehr

Sepehr Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I did email Mamiya, thank you for the replies everyone. I will let you know what they say. BUt as of right now... I might just get a Nikon sb-15...

15. Sepehr

Sepehr Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ok, so Mamiya wrote me back:

I have checked on your question and can find no reason why the old Vivitar 225 flash should cause any problems for your camera. Part of the reasoning behind that is that Profoto strobes have a very high sync voltage and they do not cause any issues, even though they do not use the hot shoe. However, it may be a good idea to contact Vivitar directly as they may know something that we do not, just to be certain that there will be no issues for the camera.

Im pretty certain voltage is different when from hot shoe or sync input. Ive emailed Vivitar in the past and they never responded.

With all that said, I went and bought myself a nice Metz 20 C2

I'm sure it would be fine, but Id rather not test it and in the long term regret it.

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Making me wonder about using my old canon flashes on my mamiya, they are for FD mount canon's, anyone know if those would have high voltage?

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like we've got the answer, and it's consistent with the manual. Case closed :munch:

18. shutterlight

shutterlight Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use an SB-600 on my Mamiya 7 and have never had an issue with it. I've turned it on both first and second and so far everything has been fine.