Mamiya black 55mm f/4.5 lens issues...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by trials2k, Jul 28, 2011.

1. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey all,

So I won an auction for the black 55mm lens for my c330s a few weeks ago with the description that it was in Excellent+ condition, even from the photos it looked in great nick.

It arrived today and pretty quickly I discovered it wasn't in the condition it was said to be... very upsetting!

Main issue being that inside the taking lens I can see this odd marking, crazing or something on the elements. I am not too sure what it is but it definetely isnt supposed to be like that, i know that much. So will this affect the picture taking, the quality of the image?

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    feel your pain!

looks like fungus from the photos.

do yourself a favour though and shoot a few test shots, say, a normal scene like a white wall and a grey card. print the grey card in particular in the highest constrast you can and inspect for any anomolies. i've got a nikkor 200mm for my bronica that has fungus creeping in and i've never seen a difference with the fungus-less one i have. cheers.

3. madrad

madrad Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    you can actually unscrew the front lens assembly, and hopefully you can clean off the fungus. Hope it works!

4. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    oh god... that really sucks.

I just unscrewed the front of the lens and I dont think the fungus is on the elements i can get to from unscrewing it like that...

I have just messaged the seller in hopes for a refund.. lets hope he is happy to, otherwise there will be some very bad feedback.

5. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I share your pain - these lenses can be very good if you get lucky. And it does look like fungus.If you want to get into it -the front lens group should unscrew - if the fungus has not etched (ruined) the glass an old tip is an application of cold cream may do the trick - or "Windex" (glass cleaner).
    Some people report success in swapping the front group with the viewing lens assembly.

6. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the fungus is all over the rear element... almost covering the whole thing.... not looking good.

7. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't had much success cleaning fungus in coated lenses. The problem is the fungus usually etches the coating much quicker than it etches glass. So while older uncoated lenses clean off fine newer coated lenses suffer coating damage quickly.

8. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fungus is a strange thing - I have cleaned lenses that were Dickensian in their squalor, and been defeated by others that looked "easy". It is a living organism :who knows what strain likes what ?
    The O.P. should return this lens,if he/she can.
    I happen to have 2 examples,and,after I have tested them to decide which is more "Razor-Sharp",I will offer one for sale. Not on this site,but my email is listed here.

9. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah the seller has offered a full refund which is good. So ill be looking to get another 55mm replacement... in better condition this time! :tongue: