Mamiya C220 or C330?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by snegron, Jul 7, 2006.

1. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am curious to know what the difference is between the 220 and the 330. I have seen them for sale recently and I am not familiar with TLR's in general, other than the top lens is the viewing lens and the bottom lens is the "taking" lens. They look pretty cool though.

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 330 cocks the shutters on the lenses when the film is advanced. On the 220, the shutter has to be cocked separately. Also, the 330 has a large crank for film advance, the 220 has a knob, with a small fold out crank. The 220 is lighter in weight. The 220 does not take interchangeble viewing screens, the 330 does. there are other less significant differences (IMHO). I have the 220. They take all the same lenses.

See: http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patterson/mfaq/m_faq-mamiya.html

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both cameras, and echo David Brown's comments, with one addition.

The C330 has two shutter releases. One of those releases interfaces directly with a Mamiya grip which has a trigger release on it. The combination of the camera and grip makes handling perfect (IMHO) for someone like me who is very left handed.

I have had my C330 for almost 30 years and shot all sorts of things with it, including weddings.

My C220 is a more recent purchase, bought used, so that I have a backup. I find I use it most often when I want to carry around something lighter than the C330. The photograph of the ropes in my gallery was shot using the C220.

Both are great.

Matt

4. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the feedback! Is the C330 an updated version of the C220?

5. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not really, they are parallel series. The C330 is updated from an earlier C3xx something and the C220 is updated from an earlier C2xx something. I don't know what all the versions were. I have an old C2 (my first MF camera bought used) and an old C3 bought new in the 1960's. That became my main workhorse for weddings with the C2 as a backup. After a few hundred or so weddings, these guys are on the 'retirement' shelf. Very sturdy, though. Cameras take a lot of wear and tear on weddings every weekend and these held up great. They still work too.

Bob

6. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Mamiyaflex C, C2, C3, C22, C220, and C220f are probably the direct feature line. The C33, C330, C330f, and C330s added the auto shutter cocking and the parallax/exposure compensation arm in the finder. With the possible exception of the 220-only backs on the C33 and C22, and a couple of lens incompatibilities, pretty much any permutation of body, lens, or finder will work. A true system camera.

[edit - punctuation]

7. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have heard mixed reviews about the lenses for the Mamiya TLR series. Are they as sharp as the 645 N or RB67C series?

8. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As sharp as you will ever need.

9. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Amen.

I have a 55, 80 & 180 (black versions). All are as sharp as a tack.

10. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once I used the 55mm, 80mm and 180mm lenses on the Mamiya twin lens reflex for shooting weddings. I personally preferred the manual Mamiya 22 and 220 because I felt the less automation there was, the less chance there was of something breaking.

11. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Simple answer - c220 is lighter, c330 is more automated (auto cocking, paralax, added shutter release). To me, lighter was better so I went with a C220. Neither are better, just different.

12. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The C2, C22, C220, are the amature line of the Mamiya TLR
    The C3, C33, C330 are the professional line.

Though between the C220 and C330 there is not a whole lot of differences, the earlier pairs had more differences. I've owned the C33(sold), and the C3, and use the 65mm, and 105mm lens with it.

13. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not correct!

The C220 was labeled “professional” by Mamiya. They placed the label on the front of the camera. The C22, C2, C330, C33, and C3 may have also had the same “professional” label.

14. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you read the sentence underneath you'd see that I said the C220 and C330 had hardly anything different between them. The Mamiyaflex, C2, did not have the "Professional" stamp on the bottom of the TLR. Some C22 had the stamp, some did not, but its just like how canon considers the 20D/30D an advanced amature camera, and not a professional, just because the stamp is there doesnt make it such. The C2* was more of a budget body up til the 220/330.

15. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only point I was trying to make was that the C2, C22, and C220 could not be considered an amateur line if the manufacturer labeled the C220 and some of the C22 cameras as “professional.” To me, this indicates that the manufacturer was trying to appeal to the professional market; not the amateur market.