Mamiya C330 Lens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by badwx25, Jul 30, 2010.

1. badwx25

badwx25 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My 65mm and 55mm lens for my C330 are not working correctly. Excuse me because i don't know the technically words for the parts on the lens so i hope you can understand. The shutter speed button is sticking. When you crank the shutter button down (either with the camera or with your hand) then click the button to take a photo the shutter button comes up and either doesn't click to close or goes very very slow. My questions are can i fix this myself, or should i pay someone to or perhaps just try to replace it because it would cost too much to fix. Or if it even can be fixed?

I'm rather good at fixing photography equipment it's just that i moved apartments and i don't have a good dust-free area. Thanks.

2. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds like the shutters on the two sets of lenses need a CLA. I have a 55mm lens that had the same problem. It was easily fixed by a good technician who works on mechanical cameras. A CLA is much cheaper than a replacement lens, which may well also need cleaning and lubing.

3. Blanc

Blanc Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Yep and a good tech is quite worth than doing the job shooting some film and realising that you messed up the job...

Depending on your part of the world you'd be able to find a good service guy to do it for not that much in a way to let them last years...

I'm not telling this can't be done at home... Just that if it's a real job there is a reason.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If we know were you live, we may be able to suggest someone to do the CLA.

Steve

5. Removed Account2

Removed Account2 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sell both those WRECKS to me! I'll take them from your hands to spare you the grief!!!
    :smile:)

There was an issue with my 80mm that I spotted: the MX synch lever. Apparently one of these interfered with the shutter (don't remember which).

When I moved to the other position, my lens started working beutifully and has since. I was out with it today burning film.

I don't plan on using flash with my camera anyway, so I don't care, I have (unmentionables) reserved for that.

6. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This has happened to a couple of my C330 lenses, too. Just the lubrication getting old and sticky (if it isn't the flash lever in the wrong place - as Erik suggests)... a CLA will easily restore them to full working order...BUT!

The C330 is officially obsolete. I took my lenses to a Mamiya dealer recently and they wouldn't touch them. They recommended someone else but they had gone out of business. An APUG member suggested someone to me... but they never answered my email. I live in the UK - hopefully things may be better where you are! It really shouldn't be a difficult job for a competent repairer of any mechanical camera shutter.

It looks like I might end up doing the CLA myself. I have some engineering ability - and I've tackled many folding camera shutters before.... but If anyone can suggest a repairer in the uk - please let us know, I would still prefer a 'pro' repair, as this is my *best* camera outfit.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They probably just need to be disassembled, cleaned, and properly re-lubricated.

Some parts may need replacement. (I had to have a spring replaced on one of the silver shutters once when it was having similar problems as you describe.) If this is the case, your technician should be able to get factory parts from Mamiya if you have a black-shuttered lens, but will need to pick the boneyard for parts if you have an older silver-shuttered lens.

8. AgentX

AgentX Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have lenses that stick on the M synch setting, too. Check that they're on X sync and try them again before sending them to a tech...

9. badwx25

badwx25 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pretty much everyone confirmed what i thought that it need to be cleaned and re-lubricated.

Does anyone know any good repair shops etc. in the nyc?

10. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Before you send it off for cleaning/repairing, sit down with it while you watch TV or something and just repeatedly cock and release the shutter. I've had shutters of that general type (I believe including a Mamiya C-series lens) that behaved as you describe, but just running them through a few dozen cycles got them working much better. I speculate that the lens had sat in a closet for long enough that the lubrication got a bit gummy, but working the mechanism a few times smoothed it out.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but is the shutter is sticking he might end up going around half cocked! :surprised:

12. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah well, that works sometimes; but you never can tell. If it's old and sticky there's no guarantee that it won't get gummed up again quickly. Face it, the lens is old and whatever lubricants in there have lost their volatile compounds. A little bit of heat from friction can loosen things up a bit, but the gunk will start to congeal again once it cools down. Then there's the issue of years of accumulated dust and other crap that has probably worked its way into the mix. Best to get it cleand up professionally. It shouldn't cost much, and you'll have a more reliable piece of gear in the end.

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  14. Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have just got an 80mm silver shutter lens with the same problem, but only below 1/30th.

Ebay seller was very reasonable and i've only paid about £20 for it in total now.

PJ Camera repairs in the UK have dealt with sticky shutters for me before, they're good value and turnaround is 2-3 weeks. They want £40+vat for the job. Fair price, but I can get a blue dot 80mm for 70 quid and the lens coating and flare resistance has been my main problem with the 65mm lens so far.

Now pondering if i should attempt repair myself, and if it goes wrong i have a lens board and viewing lens to use for a pinhole.

15. mexico531

mexico531 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You could try Dale Photographic Ltd. Tel:0113 2025034 for a repair to your lenses.
    60-62 The Balcony
    Merrion Centre
    Leeds
    West Yorkshire
    LS2 8NG

I don't know where you are located but you could always give them a ring. They have a tech on the premises and I've always found them to be excellent. Really handy for me as I live in Leeds.

16. rulnacco

rulnacco Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya Repair In London

There are indeed several good places in the UK to get Mamiya TLR repairs done, as others have mentioned. If you're in London, and don't mind a trip out to the wilds of Hounslow Central, I can recommend Chen Parmar. (You can post your lenses/gear to him if you don't fancy an hour on the Piccadilly Line.)

I found out about him when the guys at Fixation of London (the most prominent Nikon/Canon repair establishment here) told me they sent Mamiya stuff that came their way to him for service. He's serviced both TLR and RB67 lenses for me.

He's quite good, pretty rapid in turnaround, and very reasonable on price. You can reach him on 0208 737 7936.

17. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, if we were in England of thereabouts, we'd know where to go! :wink: Anyone know of repair folks out in the Pacific Northwest for Mamiya TLF lenses?? As well as in NYC, of course!

Vaughn

18. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its not NYC but at least its the US.

Havel Camera in San Antonio Texas (210) 735-7412 tells me they've never thrown away a special tool or test rig for any thing they've ever serviced and they will tell you over the phone if they have parts and/or can attempt the service.

They are good and quick on the turn around. Of course it'll cost you shipping both ways.

19. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Badwx25

If you have hand tools it is practical to dismantle a lens until you get to the shutter blades and drip Zippo fluid (petrol cigarette lighter) into mechanism until it frees.

If you google the instructions for your lenes may be available.

If you don't have a lens spanner a pair of pointed nosed pliers and a file can be used to make an equivalent tool, or a pipe of the correct diameter, so there is less risk of a slip, inspect carefully that a threaded lens (nut) ring has not been sealed with a dab of nail varnish/lacquer.

But you will get dust into the lens for sure even in a normal dust free room.

Noel

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The World is full of inoperable photographic equipment that ham fisted novices have dismantled on their kitchen table, when I worked in a camera shop we used to get processions of them clutching plastic carrier bags filled with dismantled components with pathetic expressions on their faces who said " I've tried to repair my **** and i cant get it back together again", unfortunately many pro repair firms won't touch equipment that has been tampered with. If lensed are disassembled they need to re-collimated on an optical bench on assembly to ensure that all the elements are correctly lined up to a central datum line, and that they are parallel to each other.
    It's a great thing in life to aware of ones limitations which is why I leave it to the professionals.

21. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul Ebel (paulebel44@yahoo.com) and Carol Miller (www.flutotscamerarepair.com) are both well thought of for leaf shutter repair/CLA. Both are as close to you as your closest PO. I've used both.

However, Flutot's has a waiting list (due to illness) and may not be soon enough for your purposes.

But if they haven't been used in a while, I would thoroughly exercise them (as noted earlier) to make sure that doesn't alleviate the problem.

22. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have cleaned the shutter of my Mamiya 55mm lens myself. The lensgroups were very simple to unscrew. Then I let the shutter lie in lighter fluid for some days, firing it some times daily. I applied a tiny drop of Nyoil (from Micro-tools) to the gear shafts before assembling the lens. It has worked flawlessly for about 5-6 years now.

23. ehomme

ehomme Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not in NYC but nearby is Essex Camera Repair in Carlstadt, NJ. I have also used Paul Ebel with excellent results.

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree this may ameliorate the situation as a quick fix temporarily, my training as an engineer tells me that if a mechanism's lubricants are "gummy" further use will cause the components to wear excessively. There's no way round it this lens needs servicing .:smile: